064 Broke and Roasted the 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bailey's has a healthy supply of Meteor brand aftermarket pistons for 064 now. Not perfect, but they're about the best aftermarket product available.
Thanks for the info. I don't think there is anything wrong with the 064 in terms of the piston and cylinder, the 2 problems it is having are that it wants to stall if you're not on the throttle and that the bar isn't oiling. After thinking about it, I was using the fuel that came with the saw untill it was dry and when Rob went to refuel because his 046 died he remixed with more oil. I'm confident that the 064 is going to be ok. I need to determine why it will run for a while without issues then randomly it will decide it wants to start a stalling fit. AND why the bar isn't oiling correctly. BUT Who knows? He may have mixed it right in the first place and this is all an issue with his fuel filter coming apart and clogging the carb. I know I've never replaced that filter and I'm the one who normally puts Periodic Maintenance into his equipment.

wwish full thinking,

i bet the piston ins scored and shes dropn compression when it heats up. pull muffler for an indication then tear it down and acid clean and new piston.

wwish full thinking,

i bet the piston ins scored and shes dropn compression when it heats up. pull muffler for an indication then tear it down and acid clean and new piston.
Dammit. I can see I'm going to have to go them them tomorrow night and do a quick and dirty tear down. There is only one tank of fuel through the 064 since I got it and when I looked down the carb thursday and had the piston at about BDC the cylinder wall was shiny. When I poured in Rob's mix it was over mixed so I've got high hopes its ok. I'm pulling the mufflers off both tomorrow or Wednesday.

if it over mixed maybe theyre just fouling plugs

maybe mixed like 10/1 hey it could happen specaily when mixn from 16oz bottl with a 2gallon can.

maybe just blow the carb out with the carb cleaner, it may be so rich the oil is plugn the passages in the carb

Whiskey Tengo Foxtrot

Would't by chance be a HAM would U?

My 064 was doing the same thing, first I suspected the crankcase seal(yanked it out), but it turned out to be the oiler line. Just after the ring/clamp the tubing was torn. Could not tell by looking at it with the insulation woven around it. The seal and oil kit are in, I need to pick them up and see how she runs.
I second the compressed air after EVERY use of my saws!:clap:

Ok. Just got done a tear down of the 064 and 046. *let it be known that I find a great deal of humor in the fact that between Rob and I we have a total of 5 saws and none of them run correctly at this time, 064, 046, 034, 026 and the ms200* Got into the 046 first, it has scoring on the exhaust side of the piston but the cylinder wall towards the rear is nice and shiny with the crosshatch still in tact. Seeing as the rings appear to be friction welded into the groove I'm going to say that piston and jug are both toast. He's probably going to order another big bore kit from baileys but that will depend on feedback from the forum on what to do with that saw. Mine came next only because I wasn't sure I wanted to know how bad my saw was and how much Rob had cost me. I pulled the clutch drum first and find a clip that is supposed to hold one of the 3 clutch plates in place has broken. I can't spin the thing the clutch plates ride on off because I dont have a piston stop and refuse to half a-- it. I pull off 2 springs and remove that clutch plate and find that the back side of the clip has flung out and rolled around for a while while cutting the heck out of my oil pump and hard plastic oil line. It looks like I'm only going to have to replace the plastic oil line at this time and the clip that holds the clutch together. While I'm at it I'm going to check out and clean the fuel system and intake so I can solve the random stalling issue at idle. I can tell I need to order some tools so I can service all the saws I have laying around. BUT The big accomplishment is that my saw isn't too bad at all compared to Rob's. I hope he learns from this. THANK YOU ALL who have added your valuable information. It has been a great help. Next up after these 2 are back together is to figure out why the clutch band on the 026 keeps popping off and what I need to do to get the 200 running right. Where is the best source for tools to work on these saws? And what should we do for a new piston and jug on the 046?

Yea I need to stop posting at midnight. I meant mixed in too much oil so I knew I was protected. I'd rather rebuild a carb and put in a plug than replace a saw.

Too much oil and you are going to see some smoke.

Way too much like 10:1 is going to lean the saw out too much. Someone help me out here if I am wrong on that.:greenchainsaw:

If you big bore the 46 make sure its running rich enough... Especially if you opened up the muffler at the same time

Latest posts

Back