064 piston in an 046 cylinder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironman_gq

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am building an 044/046 hybrid and I think I remember hearing about another member using an 064 piston in an 046 (both are 52mm) I am wondering what the advantages to this are and what it takes to make it happen. I have a line on an 064 piston that is cheaper than most aftermarket ones so thats why I am so interested.

Pretty sure that it won't work with out a lot of other work. LOL While they are both 52mm, the 064 piston is considerably longer than the 046 IIRC.

Maybe. I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done I just know it is not a direct swap. Pop-up would make sense though. Sounds like a nice project.

I am building an 044/046 hybrid and I think I remember hearing about another member using an 064 piston in an 046 (both are 52mm) I am wondering what the advantages to this are and what it takes to make it happen. I have a line on an 064 piston that is cheaper than most aftermarket ones so thats why I am so interested.

How does the STROKE match up???

Spent some time at the shop today, and the boys were working on another 440/660. 440 with a bored out 460 topend, pop-up 66 piston. Pretty slick. They've built several of these. A fair bit of work involved. Might make a fun project for ya - Sam

What NUMBers?

Piston pin center to crown
Pin top to crown
Height of piston
Skirt length

The 064 piston would be alot more work than an 038 piston. The 064 piston skirt is much longer and would need to be trimmed in order to clear the crank bells. It is also 1.5mm taller which means you would need a 1mm tall pop-up and an extra 0.5mm base gasket.

Forestryworks has a saw I built for him (MS-440) with a BB 440 cylinder and an OEM Stihl 064 piston. It isn't that difficult. I turned a pop-up in the piston leaving .060" over the top ring locating pin which left .110" over the top ring land. I used the stock teflon-coated aluminum base gasket (0.5mm) and ended up with .024" squish. It's a good running saw that was consistently pulling around 180-185 psi on the Lisle.

Trimming the skirts isn't a big deal. A trained monkey can do it with a file. I lightened the piston quite a bit as well.

Madsaw has a BB 372 I built for him that also has an OEM 064 piston and rings. There I did not cut a pop-up in it but rather made a 1.5mm thick base gasket which left the squish at .022". That also made a good running saw. An 038 Magnum piston also makes a decent runner in a BB 372 cylinder, albeit with some work to the piston. A Husky 380 piston can also make a decent running BB 372 but it takes a lot more work.

Back