064 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wi50

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been looking for reasonable deal on a 066 or a ms 660, I'd like to end up with a woods ported, muffler moded saw to run bucking up big wood in the landing or felling larger trees.

I ended up buying a complete and fairley nice 064 at a verry good price. ($200 cash with a new chain and almost new 36" Stihl Rolomatic bar) It had been sitting for a while and I bought it "not running". Dumped the gas out and put some fresh in, pulled on it a while and then primed the carb. After getting it running and cleaned up it now starts on the 2nd pull when cold and first when warm. It makes 150 pounds of compression, starts and runs well. I pulled the muffler and see just a bit of light scoreing on the piston. Malybe nothing to worry about. It's probably been that way for years. I went and made a few cuts in a 24" diameter red oak log, it's got good power, nothing impressive but it's also stock.

If I just get a new piston and clean up the ports, is there any US vendors for a piston? Or is Ebay and the across the pond the only option. Also for those of you who have bought, how long does the shipping take? Also is an o66 gasket and seal kit the same as for the 064?

Is an 064 and 066 muffler the same? This muffler could use a bit of attention but nothing I can't handle with a few minutes of the tig welder.

Would there be any advantage to putting the Baileys 066 big bore kit on as opposed to on an 066 or porting a stock 066? Is the crank case volume smaller on an 064 where it's possiable to make more power than with the 066 or 660? Modding the case or any machine work isn't an issue. I've got a decent little home machine shop.

I'm wighing out my options as to buy another 066 or 660 for a project. Spend a little on this 064, put a few new parts in and have a good saw, leave it allone and have a good saw, or spend a few hundred bucks on parts and put the BB kit on and go through the whole thing.

Last edited:
I love my 064. I did the muffler mod and it helped out lots. There is a thread on a 064 to 066bb. If the cylinder concerns you then I would go with the 066BB kit. I plan on doing that to mine later on maybe instead of buying a 660 but I don't know for sure.

Is your saw tuned up?? I just got mine back together recently and I wasn't impressed with it until I got it tuned up. Now it is one wood cutting machine. When I was searching for parts in the past I believe that my Stihl dealer told me they could get me a piston for around $120. That was just the piston though no cylinder. I've got two parts saw also with no top ends on them and I'm also thinking about puting the 066 parts on.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back