064 rebuild question for the experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoogie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i just purchased a roached 064. took it apart and there was a piece of the piston that broke off. Question to you guys am i money ahead using the original jug which was in good shape, hard to believe i know. and getting a org. piston with a port and polish job done on er? or should i do the big bore kit with just a muffler mod.? i'm gonna split the case and clean er out, the bearings seem like there in good shape should i replace them once i'm down that far? Seals will get replaced for sure...if you guys think i should go with the big bore kit would i be better off using a orginal 066 kit? i found one somewhere and it's a complete kit jug, piston, and seals. or should i look at getting a kit from baileys? and if you guys think portin and polishing would be the better why to go, at what point of assembly would you send it out and have it done? And really what is it that they do to it, i know the muffler port will get smoothed and polished what what else. thanks and look forward to the replys...Oh and i only paid 30 so i can spend a bit to get er in top shape, oh and while i'm thinkin about it what kind of enamel do you guys use to match the stihl color? :givebeer:

If it was me I would pull the seals and flush the case well. No way I would split it unless I couldn't get it clean for some reason. If the stock jug is as good as you say get a piston from one of the site sponsors and put it back to stock form. The BB kits from Baileys are nice and the only ones I would use. They stand behind their products. If going that route I would use Baileys and not an ebay kit or anything like that. You will love it stock or modded. Great saws. If it was my only bigger saw I would leave it stock. Stihl beefed up the case and bottom end for a reason when going to the 066. A stock 066 top end wouldn't bother me that much but I would be worried with a BB kit if you had it portrd.

the reason i lean towards splittin the case, when i got it there was no muffler in there, so when i pulled the jug the crank seems to have some white gritty stuff on it, i think it was from humidity or something or just sitting around forever. why would you not split the case? when you get to the seals, your only a couple of steps away from havin the case apart? This is my first rebuild so any tips would be great....I've been eating and sleeping on this forum about 064 and 066 rebuilds. came across the thread for making that home made tool for splitting the case seems pretty straight forward...But then again i'm a newbie to this...thanks

I would split it if I had to, but if everything cleaned out well, and was as smooth as it should be I would feel ok not going that far. It would totally depend on how the case flushed out and the bearings felt though.

seals only require the clutch and flywheel be remove to get them out. i would flush the case and listen/feel. if there is no noise when the crank turns, then you are ok. splitting the case is a lot of extra work. i would not go that far unless i know i needed to do so.

I would do a complete ground up rebuild . My reasoning , if the crank bearings sound good today they might not be good in another month or two . and if the old bearings let go , they are gonna go thru the case and piston and cylinder like a load of shot , then you will need another new jug piston , bearings and seals ...

Split the case, new bearings and seals just for piece of mind.Not that much more work.
New piston and rings.
Keep it stock. 066 or 066BB will stress the bottom end to much for a work saw.

Latest posts

Back