066 Engine Cover/ Air Box Cover Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Positrack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought this 066 from work when we replaced it with a new 660, and I was wondering about the mismatched flattop engine cover and roundtop air box cover. I've been combing Google images for an hour but I can't find a pic of one like this. Neither cover has been changed since I started there about 4 years ago, and I was wondering if it could have been built this way or if one of the covers is not original. Is there any way to tell if it "should" be flattopped or round? I guess it doesn't really matter, but I'd like to know out of curiosity. It has the poly flywheel and the later (I believe) engine case. According to Stihl, this saw was built in the first quarter of 2001 which, from what I've read, was around the time they switched to the round top and the "MS" designations. Any insight from you saw gurus? Thanks.

Also, does anybody know how to make the pics fullsize? I've done it before, but I'll be dipped if I can figure out how I did it...

View attachment 280426View attachment 280429View attachment 280432View attachment 280443View attachment 280444

It looks like the airfilter cover is the newer style , i can't tell for sure but is there a gap between the cover and the gas tank above the gas cap. the newer ms660 tanks are wider than the old 066 tanks

doesnt hurt a thing, I've run up on a couple like that, I'd run it like I stole it!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange: Happens all the time, A Tank/rear handle gets broken and the new style tanks will get put on a flat top front ends or vice/versa,,,, No biggie,,,, run it cuz!!!

Last edited:
It looks like the airfilter cover is the newer style , i can't tell for sure but is there a gap between the cover and the gas tank above the gas cap. the newer ms660 tanks are wider than the old 066 tanks

Yeah, the filter cover is the newer style, but there's not really any gap that I can see above the gas cap.

View attachment 280460View attachment 280461View attachment 280462

doesnt hurt a thing, I've run up on a couple like that, I'd run it like I stole it!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh yeah, it has been, and will continue to be! :chainsaw:

Last edited:
from serial x39 176 186 where the later 066/MS 660 round style covers. the mount for the air filter on the older ones are part of the filter base where as the later 066/ MS 660 it is seperate and bolted on with the two nust that hold the whole lot on

from serial x39 176 186 where the later 066/MS 660 round style covers. the mount for the air filter on the older ones are part of the filter base where as the later 066/ MS 660 it is seperate and bolted on with the two nust that hold the whole lot on

My serial # is 151 621 580 so that would mean it *should* have round covers and the engine cover must have been replaced with the flattop at some point? The whole works is held together with the carb stud nuts as you describe. Any idea what year they changed over from flat to round? Thanks. :cheers:

Back