066 is back to life today..Trash to Treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martinm210

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had been working on this one for a little while and met success today. Figured I'd post a couple of pics

This is what I started with:
A few parts saw, mainly I just used the one 066, but I have a second 066 case/jug and one 064 case.
stihl0661xz3.jpg

stihl0662sm4.jpg

My first saw rebuild that I started. Not really knowing what I was getting myself into, I ended up buying quite a few parts new that were missing.

More pics in the next post...

Last edited:
Doing a little cleanup on the ports, nothing major, mainly just cleanup. This was a Bailey's 066BB kit.

Exhaust port
stihl06616yo4.jpg

Opening up the piston windows...
stihl06621lz8.jpg

Last edited:
And today....we have fire!!!:cheers:

066running.jpg

066running2.jpg

Still doing some tuning/tweaking with my little Tach wired, up...but it's running great. Just about time to put in the limiter caps and cover grommet. I think I'll leave the tach on for a little while though...kind of fun watching it.

Chips are flying, thanks for all the help. I couldn't have done it without all the great how to threads and experiences..:yourock:

Last edited:
Really nice looking work. If it run's half as well as it looks, you'll be great!

Thanks!

And thanks to Brad for the tips on the piston window. I followed your lead on opening up those windows and I'm sure that's part of the goodness going one..:cheers:

Your pictures show the BB kit. Did you use the supplied rings or opt for others? DP muffler?

How many revs is it turning?

Last edited:
Also impressed with your good work.....what did you press bearings in with ?

:cheers:

I just use a cheap Harbor Freight 1Ton arbor press. I think they run around $50 at your HF tools store. I don't know how you could do it without some sort of press. Even heating the case halves, I still needed the press to finish fitting the brearings and also pressing them out. In addition I had one bearing pull out of the case and stick to the crank where I used a large two prong puller to pull it off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3552

03552.gif

Then I just use sockets for arbors and a piece of 2x4 with a larger hole cut out for the crank to fit down in.

For pulling it together I used the long M5 threaded rod method, same that I did for my 044, it works well:
0444tq0.jpg

Your pictures show the BB kit. Did you use the supplied rings or opt for others? DP muffler?

I used the kit rings although I do have a meteor 066 piston and rings coming in the mail. I got impatient and just tried the kit rings. I actually have a spare stock 066 jug that's useable, so if it failed, I'd have a backup. I put some extra time into making these ports more round with good chamfers on them, so I took the risk.

I didn't dual port the muffler, but I did significantly open up the stock port alot:

stihl06624za7.jpg

I'd kind of like to do a little more break in before pushing it too hard, but I got a glimps of at least 12,500. I've got it four-stroking pretty good and an 8tooth sprocket. The tach I'm using is pretty cheap, only about $30, so it's response time on the RPM is usually a few seconds. I'm sure it'll turn at least 13K, but I had planned to do your typical fine the max and back it off, but I'll probably stick with 13K as my H setting.

Back