066 is back to life today..Trash to Treasure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow man - nice work!! What a difference, from the first pic, to the last! :bowdown:

Amazing what a bunch of hard work new engine parts a fresh set of plastic and a little TLC will do!!!!!

That is one nice saw,,,,,,

Good work,,,,, RR2 Rat Rep In coming!!!!!!!!

I repped ya martin but I didnt see it take,,, did you notice on your rep score???????

Last edited:
Wow.

That's one pretty saw!
Very nice work.
Think you could video some cookie cuts?
Well done!:clap::clap::clap:
Enjoy it.
-br

Thanks guys!

After the 044 incident, this was a much needed lift on my rebuilding spirits.

I'll take the camera out with me on my next wood cutting outing. In the mean time, here is a sound clip of the idle tune.

She's angry and hungry for wood!....she's even drooling at the mouth!...:D

You can't see the Tach RPM like I had hoped, oh well. It's idling around 1900 according to the tach. Oh and disregard the melted oil cap, I've got one on order. I left it in place when heating the case halves and it got a little too warm. I'll remember to remove all the plastic parts next time.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LJtOE6Y0lkw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LJtOE6Y0lkw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Last edited:
you do fine work!:clap:
:cheers:

i see in the vid that you have two chain catchers.
you can replace the original aluminum catcher with a plastic bumper strip to give yourself better noodle clearance.
the strip for the 660 is stihl # 1122 640 8300.

that filter cover is different. whats underneath?

edit: btw. i did my muffler like yours! 'cept i opened it up more toward the front, encompassing the factory slat. i then used black stove pipe to extend the shroud a little further forward to keep some of the exhaust off the case.
great minds think alike!;)

Last edited:
Thanks!!

you do fine work!:clap:
:cheers:

i see in the vid that you have two chain catchers.
you can replace the original aluminum catcher with a plastic bumper strip to give yourself better noodle clearance.
the strip for the 660 is stihl # 1122 640 8300.

that filter cover is different. whats underneath?

edit: btw. i did my muffler like yours! 'cept i opened it up more toward the front, encompassing the factory slat. i then used black stove pipe to extend the shroud a little further forward to keep some of the exhaust off the case.
great minds think alike!;)

Cool, I'll order one of those strips. I thought I saw that in the IPL, but wasn't sure what it was for. Originally I just ordered the aluminum chain catch, then later grabbed the roller catch in a second order. The chip clearance will be nice. I really like the large clutch cover and the chip deflector too. I was suprised how well it keeps the handle clean, it probably helps alot with keeping the air cleaner clean too.

The filter cover is just a Bailey's 066 Max Flow filter and cover. Only thing I did was to paint the cover because it's color is way off from the OEM stihl. I still didn't get the colors to match very well, but it's better than it was. The Max Flow plastic color is a much brighter orange than the Stihl color. I used a combination of two color layers to get where I did. The Stihl orange paint didn't match that well either, that's why I ended up using two colors. The rest of the saw I used Krylon Fuzion white on the plastic white stuff and rustoleum white on the metal parts. I painted all of it before I bought OEM stihl grey and I didn't want to repaint them. I also found the Krylon Fuzion paint is more fuel resistant than the stihl paint. On my 044, I used the fuzion paint for a base/primer coat and a couple of spots the Stihl paint came off, but the fuzion paint held better. Anyhow after all this painting, I think it's ok for top covers and cases, but I wouldn't recommend painting the tank hand where gas frequently leaks.

I like the muffler mod, I did my 044 the same. I just liked the nearly stock appearance with the combined added flow. It was a pretty big difference over stock when doing my very technical and scientific "Blow through the muffler with my mouth" testing...:D

I'm happy with the saw, I feel much better about doing the bottom end as well. The OEM bearing for the 066 are a bit expensive, but at least I know they are good and should easily outlast the top end. Splitting the bottom end really isn't that hard once I got the arbor press and pullers. I could probably do it in 30 minutes if I wasn't at my typical tinkering recreational rebuilding pace...:greenchainsaw:

Doing a little cleanup on the ports, nothing major, mainly just cleanup. This was a Bailey's 066BB kit.

Exhaust port
stihl06616yo4.jpg

Opening up the piston windows...
stihl06621lz8.jpg

Great job :clap:
I am on my first Stihl overhaul. I also ported the head. I basicaly expaned the exterior port of the intake and exhaust side ( I left the inside cylinder portion alone ) I was wondering, what did you use to clean up the ports so good? Where can I get one? I looked all over for a Dremel attachment but I couldn't find one small enough:monkey:

Sounds Good Sugar Rush.....

Hey Martin ....was really good to read this thread again and hear the beast....never get sick of seeing these posts of good
work.....
Many thanks / refreshing.
( belated rep sent)

after-thought
hmm.....need a 2 prong puller / bearing stuck on a crank :cheers:

Last edited:
Stihl Learning

I just got in from porting out my exhaust side and it is not even close to the quality of your workmanship. I admire your work :D
I was wondering how you got the ports so smooth. I used the smallest dremel grinding bit I could find to bore at a low speed. I cut off the end of a 1/2 inch copper fitting wire brush (for plumbing) to finish with. It glazed it up pretty good but, it looks lumpy, I need guidance.
I also would like to add: I really like how you trimmed down the exhaust gasket to make the port bigger.
I am also interested in learning how to figure out how to increase the side of the port that the piston rides on without messing it up. My port job is chamfered leaving the piston side of the port alone at this point.
Could someone please send this message to someone that can teach me the way to port my saw like a pro like this guy?
I really want to learn :confused:

great work

how did you get the tank/handle lookin so good.

"great work

how did you get the tank/handle lookin so good. "

That's what i was wondering...damn that thing looks good!

I was wondering how you got the ports so smooth. I used the smallest dremel grinding bit I could find to bore at a low speed. I cut off the end of a 1/2 inch copper fitting wire brush (for plumbing) to finish with. It glazed it up pretty good but, it looks lumpy, I need guidance.

Use a chain sharpening file to smooth the port after gringing with the dremel. I then follow up with 220 and then 400 grit sandpaper on a 1/4" aluminum spindle in a right angle die grinder.

Latest posts

Back