066 leaks around decompression button

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stehansen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an 066 stihl and when I am cutting with it I can feel gases escaping from around the decompression button. Is this normal?

It isn't normal, but it happens. I had one that leaked, replaced it with a bolt, and that leaked. I finally broke down and spent fifteen bucks on a new decompression button and solved the problem. Now I have one on a different saw that pops up too soon. I'll start fooling with it after this long, wood cutting weekend. If it is leaking around the threads, your best bet is to replace it. I think. Wiser men than me might know better.

it may have carbon buildup around it and it can not seal good. remove it and clean it. if this does not work then replace it. do not try to use this saw without one they can be a pain to start with out using it. and dont run it with a air leak because this may cause more damage in the future.

I find the decomp valves a PITA, so I take them out and replaced them with a plug in all saws except the 088.
Stihl part # 1122 025 2200 - plug
John

Hmm,,, i got a 372xpg on which i can feel some gases coming from the area around the decomp, don't know if its the a leak in the decomp or if it come from some where else ??
with some where else i mean a "normal" source of hot air that can be felt with out a leak in that area ,,,,
i have changed the muffler gasket so it shouldn't come from there i think ,,,
any idea ?? somebody !?!?

/Kristoffer

does any of that above make any sense to you ,,,, :dizzy:

Dishsoap mixed with water is an excellent bubbling solution to find leaks. Spray a little around decomp and watch it while you crank. Any leaks will become readily apparent. I guess you could WD-40 or something similar but dishsoap is far more sensitive.

Also remember, the top cover is actually a shroud to direct air (coming off the flywheel) around the cylinder fins.

Chris B.

Reviving an old thread..........

My 361 has some soot buildup around the decomp valve. I only used it when brand new, found out it really isn't necessary on that saw for me, and that the saw starts easier without using it. Is there a stihl plug part number for the 361?

Waylan

Back