066 redeye

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red light has a digital coil firing limiter at max permitted RPM (13,000) and an L.E.D. which lights up when you reach max RPM. (Handy for tuning the "H" screw on the carb withiut a tacho)
One of the Stihl Gurus may have more info. and/or tell me I'm wrong. :buttkick:

Red light has a digital coil firing limiter at max permitted RPM (13,000) and an L.E.D. which lights up when you reach max RPM. (Handy for tuning the "H" screw on the carb withiut a tacho)

far as I know, you are dead on
-Ralph

The red-eye tuning was a great idea, but turned out to be a problem - the timing circuits were not completely digital and drifted over time. Luckily they tend to drift lower and lower. It's rare to find one today that even lights up and very rare to find one that's usable.

I find most of the problems are in the wiring and the coil simply refusing to drive the led. I sure wouldn't use one for tuning (most of them try to tell you its "tuned" at about 11k anyhow..) . The other problem is that you can't see the dang thing in bright daylight!

I assume you're looking at buying one to fix up? Well... they are old... many have really been beat, fixed, beat, fixed and then beat again, and you really don't want to get into replacing cranks, bearings, pistons, cylinders, carbs, plastic and .. and... like you did in your 044... the $$ can be a lot higher... and watch out for case cracks etc. So.. buyer beware.

I find most of the problems are in the wiring and the coil simply refusing to drive the led. I sure wouldn't use one for tuning (most of them try to tell you its "tuned" at about 11k anyhow..) . The other problem is that you can't see the dang thing in bright daylight!

I assume you're looking at buying one to fix up? Well... they are old... many have really been beat, fixed, beat, fixed and then beat again, and you really don't want to get into replacing cranks, bearings, pistons, cylinders, carbs, plastic and .. and... like you did in your 044... the $$ can be a lot higher... and watch out for case cracks etc. So.. buyer beware.
Ok guess I'll stay away from it then. The one I was looking at looked beat to piss but I didn't know if they were more powerful or something but since they aren't I'll pass on it.

Evan

Last edited:
Right, plus that they are older than the others.........:biggrinbounce2:

I'll store that away for future reference...

Kevin

The first 066 I ever owned had that light.As soon as I brought that saw to a job I noticed it was a slug.No matter how much I leaned it out it didn't get any better.The 064 I had at the time would outcut it two to one..I took it back,they tinkered with it,still the same..I ended up taking it back two other times and on the third time I made them take it back and give me another new 064...I never understood why the thing wouldn't run right..I bought another 066 about a year later and it ran like a champ.

Hi,
The red-eye tuning was a great idea, but turned out to be a problem - the timing circuits were not completely digital and drifted over time. Luckily they tend to drift lower and lower. It's rare to find one today that even lights up and very rare to find one that's usable.
I have an old 066 which has the smaller crank diameter, and runs a red eye coil. My original coil died, and I just bought another second hand one, and it died within minutes as well no spark at all! Do you know if I can swap out my flywheel, and go a generic coil, keeping in mind the smaller diameter crank end, which would limit for starters the poly flywheel? Regards Richard

Back