075: 3/8 or .404

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
besides the most excellent deal....

looks like a really nice 075! congrats..

Lakeside53 said:

Only if you are computeruser, or came across a deal like that, then you could suck too. However, on a day-to-day basis, I could certify you as pretty much "suck-free". Feel better now. :)

Mark

I have my 075 set up on a mill with 3/8 .050 gauge ripping chain and 7-tooth spur. At the time, a 7-tooth spur was all I could get for 3/8 chain. (Strike that--Stihl had a rim/sprocket system for $50!!) I have since picked up an Oregon rim/sprocket but have yet to install it. 7-tooth seems to work quite well for milling.

As far as wearing out .050 gauge, I've milled quite a few boards and filed the same chain countless times. Still has plenty of adjustment and doesn't get loose.

One little tip that Stihltech passed on to me: these 075 carbs have a governor valve in the side of the carb body. You can identify it as a large brass plug-looking thing that may have a streak of paint on it. Unscrew it, put a gasket the size of a notebook paper hole underneath it (I actually used a paper-punch) and replace the governor. Readjust the carb and make sure it is on the rich side, and hang on. Quite a noticeable difference. An 075 souped up like this will pull any chain you put on it.

Keep an eye on Ebay for nice muffler covers. Looks like that's about all your saw needs. Make sure all the screws are tight, particularly the screws for the recoil housing. Don't let them get loose and wallow out the screw holes.

Chris B.

cbfarmall said:
I have my 075 set up on a mill with 3/8 .050 gauge...

Interesting. Who makes a bar in .050 with the big stihl mount? I called my dealer and they said it doesn't exist, and NWCS didn't see any in his GB catalog.

And just for the heck of it, a picture of the family (minus the 044 that is still in pieces):

Family_Picture.jpg

You're right, I was wrong. It is .063 gauge. For some reason I had it stuck in my mind that is was .050. Nevertheless, you can always make a .050 gauge bar fit. I do have some 16" .050 General hardnose bars for Stihl large-mount. Don't know why I ever picked them up. Maybe for my 090...

Chris B.

050 Vs 063

I have been debating the whole .050 VS .063 question on large Stihl mounts. I have found no .050. After all of that looking, Dean at Washinton Hot Saws gave me a suggestion. He recomended using a guage roller and closing the 063 down to 050. Any experience out there in the chain bar Guru's?

I am tempted to go 3/8 but stay with the 063 guage. I lose some interchangeability with the rest of my saws. If I could find a cheap 050 Stihl tip, I may try squeezing the bar on an old 25" bar I have.

hautions11 said:
I have been debating the whole .050 VS .063 question on large Stihl mounts. I have found no .050. After all of that looking, Dean at Washinton Hot Saws gave me a suggestion. He recomended using a guage roller and closing the 063 down to 050. Any experience out there in the chain bar Guru's?

I am tempted to go 3/8 but stay with the 063 guage. I lose some interchangeability with the rest of my saws. If I could find a cheap 050 Stihl tip, I may try squeezing the bar on an old 25" bar I have.

I believe the tips are all 063 anyhow...

If you are using Stihl chain, the 063 is superior for long bars and milling - it pulls the oil around much better than the 0.050 - the hole in the tang is why.. The 0.050 just has the "groove".

Closing the bar doesn't sound like a good idea - you end up with the tops of the bar shoulders at .050, but the bottom of the groove will still be 0.063 plus any accumulated wear. Good luck on keeping the chain cutting straight.

Once you go .404 .063 on one of those big old saws with lots of torque you never look back....and never stop smiling whenever you run it. Save the 3/8 chain for the high rpm saws. Those old monsters were born to run .404

coveredinsap said:
Once you go .404 .063 on one of those big old saws with lots of torque you never look back....and never stop smiling whenever you run it. Save the 3/8 chain for the high rpm saws. Those old monsters were born to run .404

If you can fit a big enough sprocket, you can have the best of both worlds -high chain speed and narrower kerf.

Lakeside53 said:
If you can fit a big enough sprocket, you can have the best of both worlds -high chain speed and narrower kerf.

LOL! Yeah, but 3/8 doesn't shovel out the chips quite like .404 .063 does. It's like the difference between a 1968 Ford Mustang and 1968 Dodge Charger.

coveredinsap said:
LOL! Yeah, but 3/8 doesn't shovel out the chips quite like .404 .063 does. It's like the difference between a 1968 Ford Mustang and 1968 Dodge Charger.

Huh? You might want to revisit your math again... and your logic.

Most want to use the available HP to cut depth, not width!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back