075 Chain Instalation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaltonPaull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It seams like there have been few 075 users active here in the milling forum so I'd like to find out if anyone else has the same issue as me.

When I need to remove or install the chain, there is not enough room to get the chain between the clutch and the muffler without turning it 90 degrees to the bar. The means that I have to wreastle the chain a fair amount to get it on and past the full wrap handle bar. It's not the end of the world, but it takes a few minutes extra every time.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if there is a different version of the muffler that helps with this problem?

It seams like there have been few 075 users active here in the milling forum so I'd like to find out if anyone else has the same issue as me.

When I need to remove or install the chain, there is not enough room to get the chain between the clutch and the muffler without turning it 90 degrees to the bar. The means that I have to wreastle the chain a fair amount to get it on and past the full wrap handle bar. It's not the end of the world, but it takes a few minutes extra every time.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if there is a different version of the muffler that helps with this problem?

If the full wrap handle gets in the way why not remove it since it is unnecessary while milling.

I know exactly what you are talking about because I have the same issue with my 051. For those that don't have direct experiance with this it is not really an issue with the full wrap handle. There is not enough room between the clutch drum and the muffler for the chain to be removed unless it is turned sideways. this requires that the entire chain be threaded back through the full wrap handle so it can be turned and removed.

Even without a full wrap handle manipulating a long milling chain and turning it 90* to the saw is not as simple as just slipping the chain off like on most saws.

The saw I have with this issue is a very early model 051 I also have a late production 051 that I converted to an 075. I did not have this same issue with it before or after the conversion. The only differance on that side that I remember is that the late model saw was running a spur drive drum, but I have converted it over to a rim drive just like the saw I have a clearance issue with. The mufflers on both saws are interchangable. There are a few subtle differances on the case, not sure if thst could be the reason for one to have enough clearance and one not to.

But just be comforted to know you are not the only one with this issue and yes it is a PITA.

If the full wrap handle gets in the way why not remove it since it is unnecessary while milling.

I've been considering that as a work around but I would some handlebar on the saw so I could either cut mine down or buy a half wrap bar.

The mufflers on both saws are interchangable.

But do they look the same?

Here's a picture of my saw with the limited clearance. Note that the side of the muffler is straight.
attachment.php

Here's a picture I borrowed from the discussion on converting an 076 to 3/8. Notice that the muffler appears to have a curved recess for the clutch.
attachment.php
HTML:
Perhaps I would be happier if I found a muffler with the curve.

I searched the large auction site for mufflers and found some for the 051 that have the curve. Now I guess I have to decide if the inconvenience is worth $40 or if I should wait to find one on the cheep.

But do they look the same?

I think I may have mis-lead you a bit. Only the mufflers between the early and late model 051 are interchangable.

When I converted my 051 to an 075 I had to get a new muffler because there are two different size ports on the 075 and My jug has the larger of the two (technicly I think it may be an 076 super). I don't know if the muffler from the 051 interchanges with the small port 075 muffler(if in fact that is the one you have.)

The muffler I have on my converted saw looks like the one in the pic you riped from the other thread. This leads me to my next question. Have you ever pulled the shrouding off from around the cylinder head on your saw? the reason I ask is I suspect you may have an 051 with an airfilter cover from an 075 (I got snookered with one of those as that is exactly how my early model 051 is dressed.) the only sure way to tell is the 075 has 6mm studs that extend the full lenth of the jug with nuts on the top of the cylinder head and the 051 uses 5mm allen head bolts at the base of the cylinder.

Last edited:
Only the mufflers between the early and late model 051 are interchangable.

Thanks for clarifying. A nice arboristsite member (cat-face timber) has offered to give me a muffler. Is there an easy way to tell if it will fit before he ships it?

I haven't measured the bolts on the 075, but I do know that it has nuts at the top of cylinder so it sounds like the 051 is ruled out? It would actually be exciting if it was an 051 because as happy as I am with the saw, being able to bolt on more power would be great.

Latest posts

Back