075 crankcase, amish dealer and parts and yes there are pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
So I have been here a lot less lately, real work keeps stealing my time and I have some weird fatigue issues a team of docs are trying to figure out. I have managed to get a little more organized with our parts storage to make filling Ebay orders a lot more efficient.
IMG_7136_zpsxv7tix7k.jpg

IMG_7126_zpsxxojjirf.jpg

Also I found a cool Stihl dealer in the heart of Ohio Amish country this week, real horse and biggies in the parking lot and super friendly and helpful service inside. Coolest sign on earth too.

IMG_7168_zps3uld1bqt.jpg

IMG_7170_zpsbllsdbcw.jpg

the saws and gas can are carved out of a dead tree :)

They even had a 440 dual port cover which apparently Bryan Equipment no longer has available - be warned if you want one grab one quick. They filled my last order with standard covers without telling me :(

I finally felt up to doing a little bench work and even though I have about sold out of work saws I decided to get back into building my hotrod 075. Mike had mentioned when he did the powdercoating that it looked like it needed an insert for one of the cylinder bolt holes in the crankcase and when I looked - sure enough one of these things is not like the others. So I thought it was a prior insert repair and that it had come loose on disassembly. I ordered a 6mm Time Cert kit and was surprised that the insert was wayyy too small for the hole.
So I grabbed some metric bolts and it turns out a 10mm threads in perfectly.
Closer inspection makes it look like all the holes are threaded at 10mm with a 6mm insert. Was this a factory thing or an OEM repair of some sort?
I could really use an insert of the right size so I can build this saw. I don't want to use a different case as these are already powder coated as a set in custom colors.

IMG_7147_zpscxwyd0d6.jpg

IMG_7174_zpscslidnzs.jpg

IMG_7176_zpskjqrwgyk.jpg

Any help appreciated.
Dave

I bought a time sert kit for 6mm and they are way too small they just fall into the hole, I already own a metric set of helical coil inserts for 8mm-15mm but they are like small springs rather than a sleeve threaded on the inside and outside.
I will check the big kit from thread doctor.
I don't have a lathe or any lathe guy skills at all :)
I appreciate all the responses.
It really looks like all the holes had these inserts in them at one time, which is what made me think is was something OEM, but nothing in the IPLs to back it up.
Dave

Wow, Tbrown hit this out of the park, he had me take a few measurements and even though I am just about a dunce when it comes to machinist type stuff he sent me a quartet of custom made solid inserts that fit perfectly :)))
I am pretty sure I am ready to get this saw built now :)
A million thanks on this - I didn't torque them down yet as I am going to put a little Loctite in there and my photo angle makes it look off center but it is perfect :)
Dave
IMG_7209_zpsfxwivpb6.jpg

IMG_7208_zpskhoprohz.jpg

hmmm why are the brand new cylinder bolts rusty already in the package ?

What Tbrown said is what I would have done too.. even without a lathe, if you're careful (and have a box of 10mm bolts) you can do it without a lathe... glad they worked out!

A couple of Weeks ?

what are we going to do without ya man ?

I got a couple cases done and filter bases and muff done

I have some other things to do then I ll get on your others

I figure you 'll want them shipped all together

have fun and relax

Mike

Back