088 carb issues ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl038x2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just completed a rebuild on a 088 & can't get it to stay running. New piston, impulse line ,tank vent, carb kit (carb HT 11c). lots of compression, vac/pressure tested ok. Starts (pops), with a few pulls on full choke then switch to part choke & it takes off,"blip" off of 1/2 choke & it can be kept going on a real fast idle, "blip" it some more & it bogs then revs up well, try to return to a regular idle it falters & quits or sometimes I can feather it back up. Winding the L out a ton helps a bit but there is no way it should be that far out (I stopped turning out at 2 1/2 + more turns). Reset (checked meter lever , gaskets & diaphram ok).
could the neele seats be a problem ?

Am I missing something ?????????

Steve

Am I missing something ?????????

Steve

Steve, quick answer: Yes.
Did you COMPLETELY take the carb apart, blow it clean with carb cleaner or spirits, then reassemble with Rebuild kit? Having the Low out that far, one of the channels are blocked up somewhere....

Steve, quick answer: Yes.
Did you COMPLETELY take the carb apart, blow it clean with carb cleaner or spirits, then reassemble with Rebuild kit? Having the Low out that far, one of the channels are blocked up somewhere....

I thought I ran it through the Usonic, but it was a project under the bench for so long I forget :msp_mad:, I'll pull it off AGAIN & pull the welch plug too.

Steve

ok, so I pulled off the carb again & tore it down. everything looked as it should.Cleaned it & also I popped out the welch plug & checked out ok. re-installed with sealant (nail polish). Tried again with same results. I did notice the sparkplug wire was not terribly snug to the plug & tank vent is a bit leaky (if tipped on side fuel escapes slowly). When I get it revving at high speed it 4-strokes, but I don't want to hold it there long with this other issue lingering + it has a new piston & ring so I'm not convinced this would be a good idea yet.
Still scratching (banging is more like it), my mellon on this one.
Any thoughts ? air leak ? Passed p&v test though. Pop off pressure on metering lever ????

Steve

Pop off pressure on metering lever ????

Steve

That carb just may have the little slot in the metering diaphram, where the top of the needle slips into. If its not installed correctly, it will allow too much fuel to get into LOW & HI. My memory fails me on the HT11....

That carb just may have the little slot in the metering diaphram, where the top of the needle slips into. If its not installed correctly, it will allow too much fuel to get into LOW & HI. My memory fails me on the HT11....

Thanks, I tried two different diaphrams, one that "hooks" into the lever & the other has "smooth tit" instead. I checked the lever height with both installations to make sure it didn't get bent when hooking/unhooking .

Steve

What initial carb settings are you using on your L and H?
Metering lever height is........(what did you set it to or check it with as a reference?)??
Test your tank vent and fuel line................

Report back!

Jeremy

OK..........here goes, did a pop off check on the carb, get this........40#'s :dizzy: That just taught me a valuable lesson......when doing a rebuild & you have the pressure/vac tester out..........check the carb. I couldn't believe my eyes so I checked 2 other "big HT's" & they were 24#'s. I "borrowed" one of those springs & reset the carb to 16#'s. Once I got the WD40 worked through the carb and dialed it in, the saw is running perfectly !!!!
Problem solved !!! Now to figure out a way to start this beast without RIPPING MY FINGERS & ARM OFF :cry:

Steve

Latest posts

Back