08S Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm... I see your point.. Why would Brad care about gas resistant paint if he doesn't put gas in it?:monkey:

Boy, you guys are rough tonight.:buttkick: :buttkick: :cry: I've already gotten gas all over the tank finding out the carb needed rebuilt. I'm not happy with the saw until it's 100% functional. What ever I do with it after that is still in the air. If I have more fun putting it in the wood to let you see it cut, I'll do that and spend the time to clean it up. If not, it'll set on the shelf and look pretty. Simple as that.

Boy, you guys are rough tonight.:buttkick: :buttkick: :cry: I've already gotten gas all over the tank finding out the carb needed rebuilt. I'm not happy with the saw until it's 100% functional. What ever I do with it after that is still in the air. If I have more fun putting it in the wood to let you see it cut, I'll do that and spend the time to clean it up. If not, it'll set on the shelf and look pretty. Simple as that.

i see both sides:
it was made to cut.
it was bought to be displayed.

tough situation.
i feel for you around here (AS).
these guys are ferocious. you must feel like chum in a feeding frenzy!:)

bl, I think we can all agree that this saw is now a thing of beauty for those of us that can appreciate a 40 year old. Thanks to a local shop here that worked on my 08S, they used a caustic cleaner that ate the red paint off a good part of the case. You may have mentioned someplace in the 14 pages of this discussion what brand and color of paints you used and how you applied them but could you refresh my memory?

My 2 cents worth on using this fine old saw. I have a Commerative Winchester Rifle. I take it out and shoot it. I get a lot more enjoyment out of pulling the trigger than looking at it in the rack. :clap:

Or rather, a clear sense of what artistry is and is not. :)

OK Space....put up some pics of one of your "projects" here.

Let's see how interesting that is.

I don't even know Brad but, I find it interesting how some of you make fun or question how he does these projects or what he spends on some of them.

Yet, you have nothing comparable to offer, here.

I don't think there is anything artistic about repairing car bodies, either BUT if I wasn't an "artist" at it I wouldn't have ever been sucessful at the business for over 26 years!

(by the way...every automobile built since about 1969 is...a piece of crap!}

Last edited:
If i were brad i would just display it, even though a chainsaw was not intended to be a display, it was made to work. The point is it actually is working. Its showing and educating peoples minds especially on here how old saws evolved and became history. Why ruin a perfect example

You see, ladies and gentlement, what we have here is a philosophical dilemma. Only the individual can decide what's right. All of us have different values, different things that please us. There is no right or wrong answer. That's why there are dragstrips and auto museums. This saw is no Concoures rebuild, but it's 100% funtional and sure it pretty. I knew going into this conversation we'd have some differing opinions. That's one of the reasons I posted what I did. I wanted to see these different ideas and opinions. I'm currently setting on the fence on this one, leaning a little to the shelf queen side. Keep posting.

OK Space....put up some pics of one of your "projects" here.

Let's see how interesting that is.

I don't even know Brad but, I find it interesting how some of you make fun or question how he does these projects or what he spends on some of them.

Yet, you have nothing comparable to offer, here.

I don't think there is anything artistic about repairing car bodies, either BUT if I wasn't an "artist" at it I wouldn't have ever been sucessful at the business for over 26 years!

(by the way...every automobile built since about 1969 is...a piece of crap!}

I tried to rep you on that, but I was denied...Good Post!!!

Why ruin a perfect example

I would say, why ruin a perfect example by not using it? Something not used is not real.

It's rather like a big gift box, with pretty sparkly paper and a big bow. It's nice and shiny and fills you with anticipation. You grab the bow knot and loosen the ties, and the sides fall crisply and evenly to the table,revealing emptiness.

You wonder if what you were supposed to get flew away when you opened the box, but you eventually realize that the box was empty all along.

You see, ladies and gentlement, what we have here is a philosophical dilemma. Only the individual can decide what's right. All of us have different values, different things that please us. There is no right or wrong answer. That's why there are dragstrips and auto museums. This saw is no Concoures rebuild, but it's 100% funtional and sure it pretty. I knew going into this conversation we'd have some differing opinions. That's one of the reasons I posted what I did. I wanted to see these different ideas and opinions. I'm currently setting on the fence on this one, leaning a little to the shelf queen side. Keep posting.

You'll not know if it's functional if you never use it. Andreas Stihl would roll over in his grave.

R We Waxing Philosopical?

OK GANG. What are we trying to prove here?

1. Whose saw is it?
It is Brad's saw. If Brad wishes to place this saw upon a bed of museum paper, well, that is Brad's perogative.
2. What is it??????
It is a saw. What is it? Again, it is a saw.
3. What does a saw do?

Oh. never mind. I just now had alook at everybody's attempts to help our friend Brad with his enviable ethical dilemma. I CAN PRODUCE NOTHING NOVEL, except to unhit the cap lock key and say hey Brad, LGCSFW (let's go cut some............_
"Bring along that cool new saw you got, man."
They will definitely know we'd been there, proper grammar or not.
(this is because there will be a lot more sunshine than B 4) Ya mon let's go CSFW! UDM! (you da man!)

sorry bro, never had a lot of patience for museums, but u know cuttin' wood transcends our petty little concerns UDM have fun cut wood B safe

They will definitely know we'd been there!:greenchainsaw: :hmm3grin2orange: :

OK. Someone please show me a pic that shows where the safety label goes.

Hate to break this to you, but when this saw was made, there were no safety lables... so why are you putting one on?

I'd just put it on the most obvious belmish or scratch.:greenchainsaw:

I'm currently setting on the fence on this one, leaning a little to the shelf queen side. Keep posting.

Brad, do with this saw whatever suits you right.

My personal opinion is that when the saw is functioning (running), that is enough for me to know that it will cut wood, period. No need to put it in the wood and ruin a totally complete restoration, or put it back in the condition of thousands of other 08S that are out there.

A shelf queen it would be for me. I would enjoy looking at it just like a nice picture or a painting you appreciate.

As others have said, your saw, your decision.

My view? If you're going to run it, it is going to get dirty - oil from the bar and exhaust crud. I'd use it as a "domestic firewood saw" on the odd occasion when you want to remember how heavy saws used to be. You don't want to be using it for "work" - it will get trashed. However the odd cut - well it will feel good, and do no damage. You can spend a few hours polishing it afterwards!

It is looking mighty fine to me. Very good effort indeed!

Back