090 fitting new clutch shoes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A8DD5E93-24F1-4F7C-8797-886D347346C0.jpeg Hello guys
I’ve finally rebuilt the carb after a suspected air leak; final diagnosis was that it was just the two nuts that hold the carb to the cylinder had worked a little loose, but still cleaned and rebuilt the carb and fitted a new base gasket (piston and cylinder looked pukka...almost like new). I didn’t want to torque the two nuts up massively so used nylock nuts this time to hopefully prevent a recurrence.
Anyway enough jabber, can anyone tell me the best way to fit two new clutch shoes? I’m ASSuming three leg puller to get the clutch off, remove the springs from both sides, fit new shoes and then re-spring and reinstall, also greasing the needle bearing that I ASSume is in there?
Am I on the right track or is there a better way.
When I have this back together I have a 46” English oak that needs ringing up so will get a video of this 090, an 084 and a CT taking turns :chainsaw:

I know some folks have, but after pulling several dozen I've personally never needed to use a gear puller to get an 090 clutch off. All I ever use is two large screwdrivers to pry it off with no issue or damage. Always a good idea to apply a bit of grease to the needle cage, but be sparing; a little grease goes a long way.

It can sometimes get a bit tricky to put the second spring on when refitting. A good tip is to use a zip-tie or hose clamp to securely affix the shoes on the spider before fitting the springs.

I know some folks have, but after pulling several dozen I've personally never needed to use a gear puller to get an 090 clutch off. All I ever use is two large screwdrivers to pry it off with no issue or damage. Always a good idea to apply a bit of grease to the needle cage, but be sparing; a little grease goes a long way.

It can sometimes get a bit tricky to put the second spring on when refitting. A good tip is to use a zip-tie or hose clamp to securely affix the shoes on the spider before fitting the springs.
Excellent tips there, thank you

24B7949A-DF7E-420E-B0ED-19D2BD0A581E.jpeg Done :sweet: Two levers worked and I wrapped the shoes tight using 1” masking tape and it was relatively easy to roll the springs back into place. Thanks guys :bowdown::crazy2:

Back