090 on an Edging Mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd recommend a long heavy bar and mill attachment using that size saw with a Granberg Alaskan type mill attachment.
I use the typical 70cc saw on the Alaskan minimill (bar root attachment only) with a 20" solid bar and I kinda lift the power head side along the cut with my left hand.

But of course its possible if you find a .404 bar that short, its probably not "pleasant" as in "balanced" in the long run though.

Those saws only comes true with long bars; lotsa power but slow on rpm, you'd cut faster with a 372 BB copycat saw.

Thanks Link. I normally use it on an Alaskan style with a 36” bar but I’m getting a mini mill for vertical cuts to square posts and straight edge boards in situ. I have a spare 25” bar for it I never use and to save getting another chain and flogging my 064 I’m considering converting a spare 404 chain to 10° and using it. The mini hasn’t arrived yet, just considering options

Thanks Link. I normally use it on an Alaskan style with a 36” bar but I’m getting a mini mill for vertical cuts to square posts and straight edge boards in situ. I have a spare 25” bar for it I never use and to save getting another chain and flogging my 064 I’m considering converting a spare 404 chain to 10° and using it. The mini hasn’t arrived yet, just considering options
Id say; try it and see - if you are ok with it. But my guess is you will eventually use a more lightweight saw with it.
RIMG0138.JPG RIMG0142.JPG
RIMG0148.JPG RIMG0150.JPG
RIMG0284.JPG RIMG0285.JPG

Id say; try it and see - if you are ok with it. But my guess is you will eventually use a more lightweight saw with it.
View attachment 1035218 View attachment 1035219
View attachment 1035220 View attachment 1035221
View attachment 1035226 View attachment 1035227
Looks good. Although I see you’re using a “small log mill”, and also I think they’ve changed the name of a mini mill to an “edging mill”, so I’m updating my post.

An 090 would be no good on a small log mill for sure!

Looks good. Although I see you’re using a “small log mill”, and also I think they’ve changed the name of a mini mill to an “edging mill”, so I’m updating my post.

An 090 would be no good on a small log mill for sure!

I wrote a post yesterday then deleted it because I thought you were referencing the small log mill. Unnecessary name changes causing unnecessary confusion, lol.

Anyways, I found the 372 to be fairly cantankerous on the edging mill. Half the time, even in the cut, if I took both hands off the mill, it would want to tip. So if something moves or you need to move, it's safest but a hassle to lift the whole jig out.

On a couple cuts, I had to use the 390 with the edger. It was even more unstable and awkward than with the 372. Part of it could be I still had the full wrap on it, so the balance wasn't even.

I was largely working on slopes and somewhat unstable ground, so any little change in my body stance could make the mill wiggle.

A smaller, more compact powerhead is ideal with the edigng-mill. For fun, I made one cut with a 353 on the edger, and it rode way better and was barely prone to moving or tipping when idling hands-free.

I wrote a post yesterday then deleted it because I thought you were referencing the small log mill. Unnecessary name changes causing unnecessary confusion, lol.

Anyways, I found the 372 to be fairly cantankerous on the edging mill. Half the time, even in the cut, if I took both hands off the mill, it would want to tip. So if something moves or you need to move, it's safest but a hassle to lift the whole jig out.

On a couple cuts, I had to use the 390 with the edger. It was even more unstable and awkward than with the 372. Part of it could be I still had the full wrap on it, so the balance wasn't even.

I was largely working on slopes and somewhat unstable ground, so any little change in my body stance could make the mill wiggle.

A smaller, more compact powerhead is ideal with the edigng-mill. For fun, I made one cut with a 353 on the edger, and it rode way better and was barely prone to moving or tipping when idling hands-free.
Thanks for your feedback, that makes it pretty clear I won’t even consider the 090, and even the 064 will be borderline. Problem is my next down is an 024, which I don’t reckon is up to the task. Anyway, that’s good info thanks

I started running a Stihl 036 - 20" bar with GB edging mill. I first tried with a stock semi chisel chain. Worked fine on softwoods but slower on hardwoods. Now I made a couple ripping chains at 10 degrees and semi skip going to try that - I think it will work better.

Latest posts

Back