1/3 inch holes in logs ?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cant-w8-2cut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi ... help please ! I was given a bunch of logs that have been down for awhile ... I want to split for firewood BUT.. There are about 1/3 inch holes in the smaller diameter logs and a couple of holes in the larger ones...
Beetle Larva ?????? Should I be concerned ??? Should I get rid of the wood Or what .... Thank you very much.......

They'll make a mighty fine crackle and pop when you toast them in the fire, worry not, burning is an ideal way of controlling borers. :greenchainsaw:

Are those holes real close to each and in a line like a string of pearls? If so, sapsucker woodpeckers. And the big holes would be their nests.

It is a pine tree and the holes are sporadic "no pattern " It also looks like they have recently been boring because I see what appears to be fresh wood cuttings ,Although very small , like shavings.. the logs have been on the ground for about a year... The holes look fresh ... the holes are about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch in diameter??? I wonder what the bugs look like..?
thanks again

Those big grubs will live in green / wet logs and are part of the natural way fallen logs are broken down in the forest. They are not the powderpost beetles that can infest your house or furniture. If you cut up the wood and dry it (like you need to for firewood) they will die off. They cant live in dry wood.
You will probably find some when you split the wood. They are usually a large creamy grub, the adults are various large beetles. The big NZ and Aussie ones are edible, taste a bit like peanut butter. :D

Cheers

Ian

Are those holes real close to each and in a line like a string of pearls? If so, sapsucker woodpeckers. And the big holes would be their nests.

Especially if it is maple, around here they really like sugar maple. But yup, I would say woodpecker.:hmm3grin2orange: ;) :D

Grubs=no problem. Start splitting the wood. You'll find them. I think they would make good fish bait.

You know, a 308 Winchester or 30-06 Spring will make a 3/10 inch hole in wood... ;)

It could be a number of things like the others have posted.
Don't worry, it should be safe to split and burn.

Latest posts

Back