1 or 2 piston rings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
The only 2 Stihl products I ever seen with 1 ring was a 015 and a FS36 (line trimmer)
I think the idea is one ring offers less friction which reduces heat. Two rings seal better. Old 3 ring seal best but alot of power lost to friction. Which is better, ?

The rings take the combustion heat from the piston to the cylinder wall...

Jacob J.
Yet the question is still unanswered. Different designs that produce the same results. :dizzy:

I like to think that Stihl engineers know what they're doing...after all, most of them have Masters and Doctoral degrees in engineering, and we're a bunch of schmucks making comments on the internet...Also it's funny how Husqvarna went from the one-ring to the two-ring design in all of their big pro saws...

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Funny how I cut more timber in a day with my two-ring 372 than guys cutting right next to me with their single-ring 371s...
I like to think that Stihl engineers know what they're doing...after all, most of them have Masters and Doctoral degrees in engineering, and we're a bunch of schmucks making comments on the internet...Also it's funny how Husqvarna went from the one-ring to the two-ring design in all of their big pro saws...

The 372xp still is single-ring here, I believe - I also believe it was a massive adverisement campaign by Stihl some years ago (about that issue) that made them change to two rings on the US market - not that it really is a better solution - but then again, what do I know............: :

Btw, I have seen Husky referring to the two ring pistons as "EPA" versions.

Last edited:
Crofter

Crofter

Addicted to ArboristSite
1 ring designs are for those that like to replace top ends more often...:rolleyes: :deadhorse:

Well it looks like that may be correct. I posted on the other old one ring vs two ring thread (which I bumped up) that a certain cutter had put high hours production cutting on a number of different saws with one and two rings and found little difference.
Well, my memory was wrong. I contacted him today to verify and he said the two ring ones lasted longer by quite a bit.

scotclayshooter

scotclayshooter

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well it looks like that may be correct. I posted on the other old one ring vs two ring thread (which I bumped up) that a certain cutter had put high hours production cutting on a number of different saws with one and two rings and found little difference.
Well, my memory was wrong. I contacted him today to verify and he said the two ring ones lasted longer by quite a bit.

I can belive they last longer but i bet cost wise to those of us that can change a ring out ourselves it will make NO differance!

kgb007stb

kgb007stb

ArboristSite Lurker
I asked the same question a while back and the replies boiled down to:
1 ring – tighter tolerances,
2 rings – looser tolerances, thus two rings to stabilize the piston,

and I forget which one was more efficient at heat transfer.

Latest posts