$10,000 repair bill, help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
SO i Blew the engine on my Vermeer 352, a Diahatsu 35 deisel. Since they don't make them anymore, I can't get a replacement and just throw it in. My options seem to be to install a B & S gas engine. With all the modifications that need to be done, it's up to $10,000. The engine is $2700 which is fine. But the rest will put me out of business. Can't find anyone that will rebuild, (if it can be rebuilt) the diahatsu. Anyone know a guy on the south shore of Massachusetts?

I can not imagine how a simple swap to a big block B&S Vanguard could cost that much. You need to shop around for a good equipment repair shop. Heck, a couple of new engine mounts can not cost that much to fabricate. I think you are being taken advantage of by whoever gave you that quote.

I would not expect a 35hp Briggs to perform as well as a 35hp diesel motor, and certainly not last nearly as long.

For not a whole lot more you could buy a 30-35hp Kubota, Yanmar, Perkins, Duetz, etc diesel.

Thanks Capetrees, I tried Vermeer Northeast. That's who gave me the estimate. I think it was right out of the book of whats needed to convert from the diesel to the gas. I would like to find a diesel that would work, but I'm lost. I'm not a mechanic and can't find one that will work on this machine other than generic stuff. I was hoping someone on this board might have some guidance. Some very smart guys on here. As far as finding a diesel, would that mean I wouldn't have to do much other than fabricate the mounts to fit? I could put the exact same motor in, just don't have the talent to know what else I have to do to get it to work right. Don't mind paying more for a diesel, just don't want to order one just to find out it's not compatible and won't fit without major modifications.

My 2 cents- there is no way I would rebuild or replace that motor. It is notorious for low hour complete meltdowns. To make matters worse, unless a diesel is a wet sleeve motor, and this one is not, reliability on a reman will be less than a factory new motor, which in this case is horrid. Due to a number of reasons not worth going into here. You will get better reliability from a gasser in this case, as previously mentioned convert to another brand of diesel or go with gas. When you do this keep resale value in mind, re powering with a Kubota or Yanmar would definitely increase this.

I am leaning toward another diesel, but I don't have the skills to know what I need. I am hoping someone has replaced a motor with something compatible and will say exactly what motor they got and what they had to do to get it in there. If I can get out of this for %000 or 6000 that would be great. But to do that, I will have to struggle thru it on my own. I really appreciate the comments and help. I've actually run across some older posts concerning this very thing but not enough specifics that a simpleton like me can run with. Thanks guys.

One step at a time I guess. So I'll start searching for a diesel replacement, approx. 35 HP. Now I need a good brand that I can fit into the machine with the right specs to run a cutting wheel. The right specs//// Shaft size//// base size to be mounted///

Three years ago the Deutz engine in my Carlton 4400 snapped a connecting rod and punched a hole in the block. The new emissions rules for off road diesel engines caused Deutz to drop out of the US market. I spent a lot of time searching for a replacement, used engines bring high prices. I considered having Carlton convert it to a Kubota since the rest of the machine was in good shape. I decided to buy a new Carlton SP7015 AWD with the Kubota engine, grading blade, hydraulic oil cooler, wireless remote control and Razor cutting wheel. The $57K price was initially hard to swallow. After grinding several 5' diameter Poplar stumps I was glad I did it. The performance increase is significant plus its quieter and you are clear of the machine while operating it. Now into the third year of ownership with no issues.

The SC352 has the engine mounted to the cutting boom which makes the engine rise up and down with the cutting wheel. I believe this design results in unreliable engine lubrication. The Carlton design keeps the engine level and the V belt and Poly Chain belt design is more efficient than hydraulically driven cutter wheels.

Thanks Bill, I'd have to grind an awful lot of stumps to cover $57,000. I'm sick over the $10,000 I'm faced with now to get up and running. But I actually met with a motor cycle fabricator yesterday that will help fabricate whatever I need to put an engine not designed for this machine in. Now I need to come up with and engine that comes close to fitting, (Maybe need a new engine mount fabricated) with the same speed and torque of the Daihatsu 34 HP diesel. I'm dizzy from looking at all the engines I've been searching. Still trying to get my hands on all the specs of the old engine to try and determine what will work, but I'm not even sure of what specs to look at. Waiting for Briggs and Stratton to list what options I have.

Thanks Bill, I'd have to grind an awful lot of stumps to cover $57,000. I'm sick over the $10,000 I'm faced with now to get up and running. But I actually met with a motor cycle fabricator yesterday that will help fabricate whatever I need to put an engine not designed for this machine in. Now I need to come up with and engine that comes close to fitting, (Maybe need a new engine mount fabricated) with the same speed and torque of the Daihatsu 34 HP diesel. I'm dizzy from looking at all the engines I've been searching. Still trying to get my hands on all the specs of the old engine to try and determine what will work, but I'm not even sure of what specs to look at. Waiting for Briggs and Stratton to list what options I have.

I think to his point, and my first thought, you may want to consider throwing in the towel on this machine for a machine that will have value when you are done using it and will hold up in the long run. The creationof a franken-grinder may not be the lowest cost solution in the long run. I know that is hard to hear now.

Try a 2 or 3 cylinder air cooled Lombardini diesel. Owned by Kohler so should be easy to obtain and bullet proof. The 2 cylinder is 28 hp and the 3 cylinder is 42 hp. We use them in New Zealand on chippers and they have been used on stumpers before. Giving a very long life on the chippers. Just upgrade the air filtration system. With all the engine covers and radiator removed there should be plenty of room.
Our Daihatsu crapped itself years ago at 460 hrs and we found out it had been set up wrongly and was over revving. The new replacement Daihatsu has done 1300 hrs since and has run perfectly.

Holy smokes, I had no idea a stump grinder would cost that much. For $60k wouldn't a skid steer with a grinder attachment make sense?

Good morning TopBuilder, Imy first thought was to put the broken grinder in storage and use it for parts, I have another 352 that I can use. But until this year, I purchased at least one stump grinder a year, sometimes two and sold the old ones so I could always have one with low hours. Since getting the 352's, and outfitting them with the revolution wheel, I have decided to keep both of them and try and keep them running for the next couple of years. I'm really not interested in selling them when I decide to quit. I will give them to my grandson and he can do whatever he wants with them, So the retaining the retail value is not a concern. But I do want something the is dependable and durable. With all the advice you guys are coming up with, I am starting to get some clarity and I really appreciate it. While looking at B & S engines I read the the vanguard series have the same profile, which the Diatahsu is. If I can find a diesel with the same power and torque, that may be my best bet.

Call around to different vermeer dealers or try nortrax. They can Prob help you out

My raYco 1672 blew up lay year. 4500$ for used motor or $7500 for new engine; both pricess are before labor. I opted for a new machine. The repair bill is equal to or greater than your down payment. And you get a newer/ more efficient/ more capable machine.

There's a payment but I've made my payment sometimes in 1 day.
And you have a dependable grinder
With a warranty
versus one that you have more money in than it's worth. And still have other older components that could go at any time &cost MORE money

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hey treecutter, I have been tempted, it would be nice to have a new machine. But I don't do "on credit" and I like that feeling a lot more than the feeling of a new machine. I think I will be OK if I don't look beyond what I need. I'm not looking for future value, just to keep running for another year or two. I'm figuring that if I can get well for $5000 or so, I'll be fine. I envy you for having A new machine and appreciate the advise. Hope it works out for both of us.

Latest posts

Back