10x10 holzhausen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Holzhauser, a pot shard of Ka KA" or an urban myth, to be polite. It is in Germany or anywhere else not used. The man is right. The so-called H ² is a waste of time, is pretty, is difficult to remove from fuelwood, and is a pile. .. no more. Now I am not too opinionated.

thanks to Google translate

I waste way too much time as it is staring at my woodpiles...If I built one these holz piles I'd never get anything done! They are neat looking though. And February is a long,boring month(yep, I'm going to end up building one)

And that is another problem with the mythical H² piles: they are circular. Linear piles have an order to them that allows the Woodpile juices to flow linearly. You do not want or need to do rounds. Imagine: it is February, a dark and stormy and snowy night. You have the brew in your hand with two --count 'em, two --choices: do you want to want a line, or do you want to do a rotation again and agin. The choice is obvious. :monkey: :agree2: :cheers:

Just Say "NO" to H²

The Earth is round, trees are round,saw chains move in a circular orbit,hell, even your big old head is round...sense a pattern, straight guy?

Mr. Oz: you forgot my Random Orbital Sander. :dizzy:
Now really Oz, do you walk the whole Earth--not quite round ? Ferris wheels are round, merrygorounds are round. My head is not round....yet. Do you spend time walking around and around and around trees ? Do you ride the chain ( not circular, more orbital ). Circular chains would make for strange chainsaw . :monkey:

What the H is going on there in Oz ? :buttkick:

Anyhow getting back to thread: we've tried the so-called HH piles, 3X. Even the Germans don't use them. They are a PITA to pile, do look nice if and only if you have OCD for round, are silly to actually use for removing firewood, and need extreme care building. Give us straight, yes straight :chainsaw: , neat stacks that store in well-managed square/straight woodsheds ( you do have a woodshed, don't you ? ) and will satisy the W.A.D. in most straight flatlanders. :clap:

I like the creative factor for sure but I just don't have the time (nor energy) too actually build one. I happen too have plenty of space for the Pallets I used this year. They looked allot neater than the old pile and I had a much better guesstimate of how much wood I had. Would have loved too have a fork lift and just drove them into the barn but alas, the trusty wheelbarrow is currently dismantling them too the tune of 5-10 loads a day. :clap:

Maybe a stupid question but how do make one of these? Is there a site somewhere that shows how to start one?

Start with a 3 1/2' piece of string;anchor one end to the ground at the center of where you want your pile;using the free end of the string,you should be able to trace a 7' circle.I lay small rounds, end to end, on this circle.I then start laying the split pieces at a 90 degree angle, with one end (outer) resting on the round pieces that form your circle, the other(inner) end being lower and pointing towards the center of the pile.I maintain this inward tilt until the pile is about 5' high by using small piece to prop up the outer end.As you start creating this cylinder, fill the middle with pieces stacked vertically.When you reach around 5' high, stop maintaining the inward tilt and stack the last two feet normally.This will reverse the tilt and give you a conical top.Maybe a good idea to put the bark side up at the top to help shed water.Hope this helps.I don't think they are hard to build, and do like the looks.I am always amazed at the anger the sight of firewood brings out in some folk, but I haven't heard anything but compliments since I've gone round.Always nice to play with your wood in public!

Start with a 3 1/2' piece of string;anchor one end to the ground at the center of where you want your pile;using the free end of the string,you should be able to trace a 7' circle.I lay small rounds, end to end, on this circle.I then start laying the split pieces at a 90 degree angle, with one end (outer) resting on the round pieces that form your circle, the other(inner) end being lower and pointing towards the center of the pile.I maintain this inward tilt until the pile is about 5' high by using small piece to prop up the outer end.As you start creating this cylinder, fill the middle with pieces stacked vertically.When you reach around 5' high, stop maintaining the inward tilt and stack the last two feet normally.This will reverse the tilt and give you a conical top.Maybe a good idea to put the bark side up at the top to help shed water.Hope this helps.I don't think they are hard to build, and do like the looks.I am always amazed at the anger the sight of firewood brings out in some folk, but I haven't heard anything but compliments since I've gone round.Always nice to play with your wood in public!

You're right Cooq, the HH is pretty, yet we never got any compliments ( the deer and bear didn't look ).
You got the process correct, nice and clear.:clap: But boy it does take time to do right.
Best of luck.:popcorn:
P.S. Where and why are people angry "...at the sight of firewood..." Not here.

Her's my take on it:

There are busy bodied people(Jones's) all over that think your(my) yard is supposed to look just like their yard. They are mad that they have gone to great expence and lengths for you(me) to envy them and try to keep up with what they are doing. It seems you(I) couldnt care less if they heat with wood too.

I am not botherd by the sight of a manicured lawn nor am I jealous of it. I just wish they weren't so jealous of my great looking wood.

I'm a city guy most of the time.The same people who forbid anything larger than a 1/2 truck in your driveway REALLY hate firewood.I think that they associate it with poverty, or maybe it's more like the people who think that meat starts out as a pink package in a grocery store.As people left the land they lost the sense of process, and I think most of them would prefer to not be reminded of it.I often wonder if a downturn ala' 1929 happened now.Most people then had very little to lose, but they were not so far removed from the subsistence way of life that our species had practiced for thousands of years that they couldn't survive. I feel fortunate that I also have a small ranch/farm about an hour and a half away.If the-you-know-what hits the fan, I'll be there, hunkered down in my (round) grain bin cabin, eating fish from my ponds, deer from my woods and produce from my garden.I have no idea how these city people will make it.

I will start building a 7' x7' holzhausen tomorrow from all apple and cherry wood. It will look cool next to my 400 gallon pig roaster/rotisserie. I've been cutting apple tree blow downs from Ike. Two more apples and a large cherry still to cut next week.

Local zone inspector lady was looking suspiciously at my front yard wood pile a while ago. I don't believe there is anything illegal about it, but made me nervous. After that I stacked the last few cords in the backyard. If my 7x7 HH goes well I might make 10' x 10' holzhausen just to get her goat. I think it will make a great conversation piece.
:greenchainsaw:

Side note my wood piles aren't covered with those ugly hurricane blue tarps but nice dark green/brown tarps. 10 foot wood monument with no tarp at all should look real nice. I have 2+ year supply of seasoned wood already so don't really care it dries faster or slower with the HH method.

That don't sound so hard, I may just have to try one next spring when I'm resupplying.

Back