110 octane racing gas in a work saw... What's your thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
Reaction score
A station near me is selling 110 octane leaded "racing fuel". I did not check to make sure, but I'm assuming it's ethanol free.
There are no other ethanol free options here. Would you run it in your work saws?

+1. 100LL "avgas" may be a better option if you have access to it.

I use a lot of 100 LL Aviation gas at about $4 per gallon, I have experience no noticeable performance issues, not saying its better or worse in the performance, but the real benefit is the Aviation gas last so long, and I have had zero fuel related problems in either daily used saws or saws that have sat for upwards of 2.5 years with it in and then were finally started, again 2.5 years later and they started and ran great.

Sam

Last edited:
High Octane does not mean more net energy per unit of fuel, octane is a flame rate rating and in fact higher octane has a lower flame rate to resist detonation.

High octane, low lead (it will have a lot more lead that our standard lead free) may have better shelf life that standard pump gas but probably won't lead to any performance benefits. Fact is, over time the lead content may cause deposits and problems since our modern engines have been designed to provide a long service life without the lead.

Lead in gasoline (tetraethyl lead) was added primarily as a lubricant in the combustion chamber, valves, etc. and with today's materials and technologies lead is no longer needed.

Mark

My boss brings a few gallons of race fuel left over from riding his quads every now and then. Like stated above no power change. I prefer it but only because the exhaust has a different smell almost like being at a sprint car race.

MMMM nothing like the smell of race gas int he morning.

As heimannm said, rthe higher octane will not net you any performance gains. In fact is completely possible it will reduce performance. Since it is designed to resist detonation it is harder to burn. The reason high-octane race gas is required is once you bump the compression (past 10:1 in a v8) the engin starts to detonate. This is also referred to as spark-knock in a car/truck. Many of today's cars have knock sensors that pull timing from the ignition so you never hear the knock, but in an older vehicle you can at time hears that gas engine that is trying to impersonate a diesel...

Now, it will (most are) ethanol free but check. In the race gas world they refer to it as "oxygenated" fuel. It is also typically free of all the other detergents and additives designed to make the fuel burn cleaner.... So it could be easier on components.

I am running it as my mix fuel now, mixed 2:3 w/ and ethanol free premium unleaded to help bring the octane down.

If E-00 :laugh: is not an option in your area :msp_mad:, are you close to marina? Marina fuel is (should be) ethanol free because of the proximity to water and the likeliness of absorption. Now here in KY my marina said they are not allowed to sell me gas in a container on the dock, only in a boat, but they did tell me where they get it, and the same place sells that gas as well, maybe you can luck out there

dw

It depends on the compression ratio of your saw. Using octane that is way higher than you need, can actually make less power.

True and 110 is probably a little much.

I use a lot of 100 LL Aviation gas at about $4 per gallon, I have experience no noticeable performance issues, not saying its better or worse in the performance, but the real benefit is the Aviation gas last so long, and I have had zero fuel related problems in either daily used saws or saws that have saw for upwards of 2.5 years with it in and then were finally started, again 2.5 years later and they started and ran great.

Sam

That's what I use with the same results and it smells really cool.
If I new for sure I would use my saw often, it would be mid grade in stock saws and hi test in modded saws, but I can never tell.

Ed the stuff give me a head ache the time I bought 2 gallons of it. Bucking in a wood pile it was pretty bad. Falling trees in the woods wasn't as bad then.

Sounds like I'll stick with my normal stuff. I just thought the possibility of no ethanol would be nice for a longer shelf life.

I have over 25 running saws,

Gets hard to put them all in the rotation, so non-eth fuel makes sense for me.

Use some of the saws for milling too. The extra octane is probably not needed, but 110 is my only local choice for e free gas.

I've been beat up on this issue a few times, but will continue to run it in all my saws.

I am not a professional, so 15 to 20 gallons is about all that is used in a years time.

Use what you like, and I will as well.

I have over 25 running saws,

Gets hard to put them all in the rotation, so non-eth fuel makes sense for me.

Use some of the saws for milling too. The extra octane is probably not needed, but 110 is my only local choice for e free gas.

I've been beat up on this issue a few times, but will continue to run it in all my saws.

I am not a professional, so 15 to 20 gallons is about all that is used in a years time.

Use what you like, and I will as well.

Same here.

My boss brings a few gallons of race fuel left over from riding his quads every now and then. Like stated above no power change. I prefer it but only because the exhaust has a different smell almost like being at a sprint car race.

Hmmm... My sprint car ran on Alcohol. :msp_tongue:

My dirt modified runs on avgas :D

phone004.jpg

Hmmm... My sprint car ran on Alcohol. :msp_tongue:

My dirt modified runs on avgas :D

phone004.jpg

Very true well it's what ever he gets from the local power sports dealer. It does have a different smell that I prefer. Whatever it is. I have. I have noticed the difference in our older landing saws that are set a little rich do to there age and abuse that I get a headache some times running them. Now this isnt the case with his left over quad gas. Now we have stations that sell only ethanol free and most the major brand stations have it. We run through the fuel quite fast so it doesn't matter to much as far as storage goes. My personal are all run ethanol free.

Found this thread after talking to one of the guys at local stihl shop about av gas. I am in the middle of building an expansion chamber for my worksaw 880 and think ill need higher octane to prevent detonation due to high cylinder pressures when it comes on the pipe. He told me that av gas will cause the saw to run really hot, probly seize, if I could run saw at 10k and flywheel at 20k it might be ok with av gas.
Is there any high oxtane fuels to stay away from for this reason? Highest octane I can get at servo is 98 (94US I think). I was thinking of running 50:50 mix of 98 and av gas. Any thoughts either way?

I would think 98 would be plenty of octane. Are you going to run a 2 piece head on it to bump the compression?

A station near me is selling 110 octane leaded "racing fuel". I did not check to make sure, but I'm assuming it's ethanol free.
There are no other ethanol free options here. Would you run it in your work saws?

Not sure it's worth the extra coin. I try to avoid it, but I've run lots of corn gas through my saws, but it's burnt the same week I buy it. Just don't let it set, in the saw or the can. Do a gallon at a time if you have to. If it does end up sitting, have yourself a bonfire.

No, stock cyl. Measured comp from exhaust closing point and got close to 9.5:1. According to and old two stroke book that is about the most recommended with a good pipe. Might be able to go higher but being a work saw didnt want to push it too much.
Stumbled on a two stroke forum where they measured and found painting the cyl/head black reduced surface temps by 50-60* F. Every little bit can help..

Most people run pump gas for saws up to around 200 lbs of static compression. Over that then it might start having problems. For a work saw I don't see any benefit for super high octane fuel.

Latest posts

Back