121cc's more to the collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeha

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I picked up this Stihl 088 a couple months ago.
Had a bad top end and need a major cleaning.
Found a good used cylinder and piston. Bought
oem rings and gaskets and runs like a top.
Out fitted with a 41 incher and semi chisel chain.
I bought some new rubber for the handle bar but i'll
be damned if i can get it on.

Lee

Stihl088003.jpg

Stihl088004.jpg

Stihl088005.jpg

leeha. What kind of bar is that? With the semi-circle tip with three rivets? I have a bar like it, and cant find a tip anywhere.:(

I don't know if it'll work for chainsaw bar handles but I have re gripped my golf clubs a few times, go to the closest golf shop and buy a spool of double sided gip tape. You wrap it around the bar candy cane style (half inch between tape spiral) and wet it down with lighter fluid,it stays slick for about five minutes or so. You could increase your time if you go in thirds but make sure you keep it wet until the rubber is in place. It'll cure in a half hour or so. Should do the trick, hope you never have to remove it!

use alcohol to slide the rubber into place - when it dries it will be stuck in place. Same technique applies to handlebar grips etc.

I picked up this Stihl 088 a couple months ago.
Had a bad top end and need a major cleaning.
Found a good used cylinder and piston. Bought
oem rings and gaskets and runs like a top.
Out fitted with a 41 incher and semi chisel chain.
I bought some new rubber for the handle bar but i'll
be damned if i can get it on.

Lee

Stihl088003.jpg

Stihl088004.jpg

Stihl088005.jpg

Hehehe, I got my 088 from Bruce too.;)

That's the Oregon three-rivet tip. What do you need, 3/8" or .404"?

I just took the bar off and there are no markings anywhere.
So i'm not sure who made it. But i would take Jacobs word on it.

I have the new bar grip from stihl and i have tried air. silicone lube, and dish soap and i can't get it more than 2 inches on then stops. I gave up. maybe i am getting old.

Lee

I have an old 33" Cannon bar on the 090 that I found in the bush leaning up against an old trapper's cabin, and it has an Oregon 3-rivet tip like that. So they weren't only on Oregon bars, I guess. And yeah, they are pretty much impossible to find anymore in-store.

Nice saw, btw. I want an 088 or 3120 in the worst way for milling duty. Sometimes my ~90cc saws aren't quite enough but the 090 is complete overkill!

Latest posts

Back