125 MAC question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoss

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am in the process of putting a new piston in one of my 125 mac's and have gotten it most of the way torn down. The problem is the spline head con rod bolts. What tool do I use to remove them and where can I get it? Any idea's would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Probably the same stupid bolts I run in my Billet 4 cycle rods...12pt 1/4"

Pain in the butt to deal with, one tool most dont have in their set, but they are compact, and take torque.

Some of the Sp 125s use a special splined rod bolt that takes a proprietary tool, originally made by McCulloch. If you post a pic of your rod bolts then we'll know for sure. I have the special tool and I would be happy to loan it to you.

Some of the Sp 125s use a special splined rod bolt that takes a proprietary tool, originally made by McCulloch. If you post a pic of your rod bolts then we'll know for sure. I have the special tool and I would be happy to loan it to you.

JJ is right....it is not a 12pt. It is splined, and you have to have the correct tool. McCulloch made both a wrench and a socket to fit the bolts. You have to use the factory bolt to clear inside of the crankcase.

Had to take my to mower shop after trying to get the splined / special tool....
did'nt relish playing with those needle bearings.Small area ..big fingers......!!!
Third shop i went to sorted it ! :givebeer:

Was mighty kind of Jacob to offer you a loaner.
Good luck with it.

Have you noticed the hole to lock your crank - through the case and into a notch in the flywheel ?....underneath !
- Graeme

Yep, you probably got the spline head. You can get that socket from the mac tool man, or snap on. Don't try to use a twelve point socket on it as it will just round it. Good to see you are restoring an old 125. Must post pics of it when you are done.

Anyone know where I can get a hold of one of those socket heads?

Preferably in Australia but at this point I don't really care I just need one..

These tools used to be fairly easy to find but I have not seen one on eBay in quite some time. A fellow on another site recently butchered his splined bolts. Says he plans to replace them with socket heads. I hope he doesn't come to regret it as the bolts seem even more rare than the tools. Ron

Latest posts

Back