15 Bucks Per Gallon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRocket

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Was at the Stihl dealer today, pre mixed Non Ethanol fuel $77 Bucks plus tax for a five gallon can, that's a little over $15 per gallon.
The dealer was telling me that you have to retune your saw if your gonna run it, he said that your saw will run to lean and fry the P&C if you don't richen the carb up. He told me that they would tune all my saws if i bought a can. I Don't think they have any idea how many saws i have, They would be tuning for days.
At $15 bucks a gallon i would hope that it would give my saws two more HP. I know it does't have ethanol, but Are there some other benefits from using it that i'm missing?

Last edited:
My gosh ........ CAM II race gas (100 octane) is cheaper than that !!!!!

My saws can't tell a tuning difference between 93 octane pump ethanol blend 40:1 and Tru fuel premixed ethanol free. I'm calling BS on retuning

My saws can't tell a tuning difference between 93 octane pump ethanol blend 40:1 and Tru fuel premixed ethanol free. I'm calling BS on retuning

I hope your luck remains the same, but up here there sometimes is a difference in saw performance when using ethanol gas from different stations, sometimes even the same station.:msp_thumbdn:

I hope your luck remains the same, but up here there sometimes is a difference in saw performance when using ethanol gas from different stations, sometimes even the same station.:msp_thumbdn:

Having an unexpectedly high amount of ethanol can make a saw run lean, but if u'r tuned for pump gas, going to ethanol free would move it in a rich direction. My saws are tuned slightly rich, so if I got a batch with 15%, it'd would still be ok. Good point on the variability of pump gas

Was at the Stihl dealer today, pre mixed Non Ethanol fuel $77 Bucks plus tax for a five gallon can, that's a little over $15 per gallon.
The dealer was telling me that you have to retune your saw if your gonna run it, he said that your saw will run to lean and fry the P&C if you don't richen the carb up. He told me that they would tune all my saws if i bought a can. I Don't think they have any idea how many saws i have, They would be tuning for days.
At $15 bucks a gallon i would hope that it would give my saws two more HP. I know it does't have ethanol, but Are there some other benefits from using it that i'm missing?

That's a little less than half as much as it is here when sold by the quart. I would buy a gallon for $15 in a heartbeat, but the other four would be getting old by the time I could use it up. My MS441RC-M and KM130 both run better on moto-mix. I run shell 93 and hp ultra in the rest of my equipment. I'm not sure about the re-tune, because I don't switch back and forth. I would guess that without 10% ethanol diluted fuel, you would be able to turn the h screw in a 16th to maintain a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio. I'm sure someone who sells this fuel has retuned a saw or two.

Some of us will retune are saws a couple times a day when running them

Fuel that you get at your local service station can change over night and between were you can get your fuel

I'm running VP MS98L in my saws and there is a different between pump gas and VP fuel and my saws runs better on VP fuel IMO

Some of us will retune are saws a couple times a day when running them

Fuel that you get at your local service station can change over night and between were you can get your fuel

I'm running VP MS98L in my saws and there is a different between pump gas and VP fuel and my saws runs better on VP fuel IMO

I am not saying that etoh makes zero difference, just that you will not "burn up a cylinder" moving from pump gas to premix. If you can afford 16 bucks a gallon it will be more consistent. I paid about $22 for 5 gallons of shell 93 and mix yesterday.
Ethanol is hard on carbs and lines, but in and of itself is not "bad" for performance. I don't have a dual tune on my car to run E85 on track days because it's slower

I also like the vp fuel, I have ran the 94 sef, a more throttle response but not much difference in rpm. It had a three year shelf life which is nice, I can't remeber what it came out to a gallon though.

Multiple thoughts:

You're right, it is a lot of money.

To mention the need to retune is certainly being cautious; it is possible that some equipment, if tuned very close to the max rpm or something like that, may need to be retuned. I think the majority of people run equipment far away enough from the bleeding edge of their potential that they would probably be OK without retuning. I switch back and forth and have tached the equipment and it might make a bit of a difference but nothing drastic, at least IME

The other thing to note is that there is no real savings at that point vs a quart. The quarts go for between $4 and $5, so there's hardly a reward for buying in quantity.

I use trufuel or SEF that I buy in quarts for fuel in all-year equipment that I want on standby and ready to go but might go for weeks without being used.

I also use it as a storage fuel in equipment that I dont want to idle out. I just dump the saw of regular gas, put some SEF in the tank, run until I'm sure SEF is through fuel line and carb, and then dump the remainder out and re-use.

Multiple thoughts:

To mention the need to retune is certainly being cautious; it is possible that some equipment, if tuned very close to the max rpm or something like that, may need to be retuned. I think the majority of people run equipment far away enough from the bleeding edge of their potential that they would probably be OK without retuning. I switch back and forth and have tached the equipment and it might make a bit of a difference but nothing drastic, at least IME

The other thing to note is that there is no real savings at that point vs a quart. The quarts go for between $4 and $5, so there's hardly a reward for buying in quantity.

I use trufuel or SEF that I buy in quarts for fuel in all-year equipment that I want on standby and ready to go but might go for weeks without being used.

I also use it as a storage fuel in equipment that I dont want to idle out. I just dump the saw of regular gas, put some SEF in the tank, run until I'm sure SEF is through fuel line and carb, and then dump the remainder out and re-use.

That is exactly what I use TruFuel for. I was feeling sentimental towards my 385xp, and lowes had a trufuel sale, so I bought 6 quarts for 24something. The saw holds nearly $4 of trufuel in it's gastank, and when working hard, is very capable of eating it all in 20 minutes. Even on sale, that is too rich for my blood. The HT 131 gets exclusively trufuel as it seemingly can limb 50 trees on half a tank. I don't have an emotional connection to the 445. It gets what it gets.

Multiple thoughts:

I have gone to canned fuel in the cut-off saw, hedgers, and clearing saw. They don't get much use and I can really tell the difference in how easy to start those tools are after running pump gas/mix. I had to change a cracked fuel line today on my Little Wonder hedge trimmer because the old fuel ate it up.

HJ

How many people run leaded fuel instead of unleaded fuel ?

Leaded fuel will make the equipment run cooler

I am not saying that etoh makes zero difference, just that you will not "burn up a cylinder" moving from pump gas to premix. If you can afford 16 bucks a gallon it will be more consistent. I paid about $22 for 5 gallons of shell 93 and mix yesterday.
Ethanol is hard on carbs and lines, but in and of itself is not "bad" for performance. I don't have a dual tune on my car to run E85 on track days because it's slower

If the quantity needed for a correct air-fuel ratio is delivered to the engine, then I agree.

The problem with OPE is that the carb isnt designed to flow that much liquid, atomize it and mix with air. You need about 2 times the alcohol compared to gas ...... maybe the computer controlled carbs or fuel injection thats coming round will do a better job at maintaining the correct ratio, but can they minister enough liquid to maintain a slightly rich burn ?

You guys must be made of money. Pre-mixed fuel is great for topping off a saw before it's put away for a while, but I can't imagine the cost of running it 100% of the time.

Having an unexpectedly high amount of ethanol can make a saw run lean, but if u'r tuned for pump gas, going to ethanol free would move it in a rich direction. My saws are tuned slightly rich, so if I got a batch with 15%, it'd would still be ok. Good point on the variability of pump gas

Right, his dealer is telling him the oppisite, that it will get leaner with no crapola. Time for a different dealer again. Steve

Latest posts

Back