16 yo kid inside a mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sorry but there is a bit of a backstory on that, I assume you are not aware of it. I will leave it at that and JRM can explain if he chooses.

Some things in the background should remain there. There is no need to rehash every old fight in each new thread.

You of all people should know this.

Some things in the background should remain there. There is no need to rehash every old fight in each new thread.

You of all people should know this.
It was only a number of hours ago but I guess old is a relative term. You of all folks should know that

Except for stirring up a fight, what did that comment do for this thread Bill?

In light of your recent thoughts about being ok to drag old grudges in to new threads, I guess I should just let everyone declare open season on all of your past conflicts. That'll be fun to watch.

Just say the word...

Except for stirring up a fight, what did that comment do for this thread Bill?

In light of your recent thoughts about being ok to drag old grudges in to new threads, I guess I should just let everyone declare open season on all of your past conflicts. That'll be fun to watch.

Just say the word...
That is not what I said at all.

Some jobs are for men. Some are for women.
Barring exceptions from the norm, it's really that simple.

Now be a good little girl and return to the hate thread and quit trying to turn this into one 😂😂
Here is the start.

I don't consider my bit about testosterone filled work places as an insult. It exists. I do find JRM's comment to be insulting, as it was intended to be. He's got a problem with modern life.

There are/have been all woman fire crews. The Apache Tribe had that, and might still have it. They were good and did good work.

Inmate crews are segregated. They all are trained and work on firelines.

But the idea is not to have all man or all woman crews. The idea is to have individuals who are qualified and can to the work, to be on crews without harassment or threats. Working together, safely.

Thank you Ray!

Looks to me like some jumped to conclusions too quickly and made false assumptions

Regardless, of my assumptions being wrong, the article proves my point that minors should not work in a dangerous factory. They are not risk averse. He did something stupid. Didnt hit the safety stop and climbed onto the conveyor and got crushed.

Everyone here has convinced me that you all judge the character of the person before allowing them to use equipment, so either the manager misjudged or he had no business in the factory and is culpable for his misjudgement(maybe not legally but morally.)

It also points to relaxing labor laws for minors as maybe the peak of dumbest possible solutions regarding manpower. Anyone who is saying its to provide minors more opportunity is a snake-oil salesman at best.

Pay an adult a living wage, adjusted positively for the hazardous duty with benefits. Military pays extra when youre in hazardous environment. Private business should too.

Regardless, of my assumptions being wrong, the article proves my point that minors should not work in a dangerous factory. They are not risk averse. He did something stupid. Didnt hit the safety stop and climbed onto the conveyor and got crushed.

Everyone here has convinced me that you all judge the character of the person before allowing them to use equipment, so either the manager misjudged or he had no business in the factory and is culpable for his misjudgement(maybe not legally but morally.)

It also points to relaxing labor laws for minors as maybe the peak of dumbest possible solutions regarding manpower. Anyone who is saying its to provide minors more opportunity is a snake-oil salesman at best.

Pay an adult a living wage, adjusted positively for the hazardous duty with benefits. Military pays extra when youre in hazardous environment. Private business should too.
How much pay does it take to get them to show up, on time, every damned day.

Most private industries around here pay more for night or weekend shifts, or dangerous/undesirable jobs and still can't keep people. I got $1/hr extra for working weekends when I worked for Energizer, and we couldn't keep people on our shift.

Well here is a real life example of a company employee I depend on so I can get my job done without also doing his.

Started Wednesday,May 31 worked the week but belched about the overtime
Worked Monday June 5 to Friday June 9 late most every morning
Worked Monday June 12 to Friday June 16 late most every morning and stunk like skunk weed.
No call-no show Monday June 19 worked the rest of the week but was high as a kite.
No show Monday and Tuesday June 26-27, showed up Wednesday and Thursday but never showed up Friday
We were shutdown the week of the 4th and he lost 2 days of holiday pay for not showing up the Friday before.
Monday July 10 he does not show, boss says he was fired but the guy shows 45 minutes later and goes to work
Tuesday July 11 no show
Wednesday July 12 shows up late

So how much does it take?

Here is the start.

I don't consider my bit about testosterone filled work places as an insult. It exists. I do find JRM's comment to be insulting, as it was intended to be. He's got a problem with modern life.
Ehh, something stinks. I too have spent a couple of decades in a male dominated profession where time is money and margins are razor thin. Equally dangerous no less. You don't make it this long by being easily insulted. You brag about making a career in a male dominated profession yet one simple (true) statement - a statement that wasnt even a personal insult - hurt 'yer feelings? Either your playing victim or you were coddled a whole bunch through your career. I call BS. On both accounts. You not slinging insults and being insulted. Fake news.
There are/have been all woman fire crews. The Apache Tribe had that, and might still have it. They were good and did good work.

Not easy work by any means. But definitely not the same, either.
You know this.

But the idea is not to have all man or all woman crews. The idea is to have individuals who are qualified and can to the work, to be on crews without harassment or threats. Working together, safely.

If you mean Individuals who are qualified regardless of race or sex, then I agree. When the latter becomes the deciding factor over the former it weakens the crew. It's playing out everywhere in society from unions on job sites all the way to the White House, and because of it, we are steadily becoming a weaker nation. Participation trophies are a fallacy.

additional info on the accident, the short of it was he climbed up on the conveyor belt to remove a jam but never shut down the drive system then became caught in the jam with addition material piling up

additional info on the accident, the short of it was he climbed up on the conveyor belt to remove a jam but never shut down the drive system then became caught in the jam with addition material piling up
Made it a few days before succumbing to his injuries....hopefully they had him induced in a coma and he wasn't suffering. Sad.

"Homemade submarine" :laugh:
Everything regarding the hiring of a 16 year old, or 26 year old can never be made without fully understanding the Maturity, and the reason a person wants a job. I started @ 14. Lots of "close calls." Non life threatening. They were ALL learning moments. Some people learn, other's can't. I had a Mentor who I respected and took pride in being able to share his knowledge with me. I wanted to learn. I am still learning 40 years later. (He was not a family member which probably is the best way to learn. In my experience and opinion.)

Well here is a real life example of a company employee I depend on so I can get my job done without also doing his.

Started Wednesday,May 31 worked the week but belched about the overtime
Worked Monday June 5 to Friday June 9 late most every morning
Worked Monday June 12 to Friday June 16 late most every morning and stunk like skunk weed.
No call-no show Monday June 19 worked the rest of the week but was high as a kite.
No show Monday and Tuesday June 26-27, showed up Wednesday and Thursday but never showed up Friday
We were shutdown the week of the 4th and he lost 2 days of holiday pay for not showing up the Friday before.
Monday July 10 he does not show, boss says he was fired but the guy shows 45 minutes later and goes to work
Tuesday July 11 no show
Wednesday July 12 shows up late

So how much does it take?
Update July 13th fired

Update July 13th fired
Can't believe they let him stay that long. Here 2 no call no shows and you're done, only way to get out of it is if you, or a close family member was in the hospital, and you need proof from the hospital either way. No time limit, and no questions asked out side of medical emergency. There's a point system for being late/calling off, but most of us look at it like 14 unpaid days off. More then two in a row requires a medical excuse, or prior approval.

Latest posts

Back