1625jr questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iiipriceiii

Reaction score
Hello i just purchased a rayco 1625 super jr with a blown engine? I am having trouble finding a replacement seems i only have one option by kohler has anyone upgraded to like a 27 or 30 hp on theres if so any info would be so great. I belive its a 2000ish model manual steering has a orginal ch25s kohlker on it \?

Do a search, there's a couple guys that have upgraded engines with good luck. I think one even went to a 35 Kohler :hmm3grin2orange:

The 25hp Kohler has been discontinued and you will have to go to a 27hp or 30hp Kohler. If you jump up to a 35hp most manufacturers use bigger shafts on the cutter wheel to compensate for the horsepower. If you change engine manufacturers, you will need to reconstruct the engine mounting plate and this can be a hassle.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Gliobal Equipment Exporters

I just replaced my 25 hp kohler with another 25 hp kohler. A little different air filter design but the same motor. The Rayco spec for this engine is very specific and only one engine will 'bolt up'. CH730 -3237 is the replacement spec for your original kohler 25hp. I had prices from 2k up to almost 3k for the same engine. The 27 hp model will need to be rewired because of the electric clutch and the engine warehouse said for a stump grinder application 2 hp makes no difference. I looked at getting a bigger engine but there is a lot of fabrication that will need to be done.

When my engine goes on my 1625a sjr i am going to upgrade to a 35 hp engine if at all possable. I know its gonna take some fabricating, but i think it will be worth it. The 1635 is there 35hp machine, and they look like they are the same size machine overall, so you might be able to just change out some parts that you can get from rayco.

rayco 1625 dive will not engage

I had to remove the side tires to fit through a gate today. I put the tires back on and as I was loading it onto the trailer it stopped moving. I can see the chain moving around the gear and it is catching on the sprocket. Is it coincidence that I had this problem after I removed the tires? If anybody could shed some light onto this and/or point me in the right direction to diagnose the problem so I can get it operational again I would appreciate, Thanks Matt.

Could be a couple things.

Check the free wheel bolts.

Check to make sure the chain drive sproket isnt spinning on the axle.

Check to make sure the chain sprokets have all there teeth and didnt strip out.

it looks like the drive sproket is spinning on the axle, what would cause this problem and more importantly how do I fix it?

The sprocket is held on the axle with a piece of 1/4" keystock, and a set screw or two. You will have to tear it all apart and replace the keystock.

attachment.php

anyone ever replaced the drive motor on a self propelled unit? my 1631 sj won't stay put when grinding (brake won't hold). we checked the valve box and 'o' rings and they are fine. rayco tech said he believes the drive motor needs to be replaced. it's not a cheap part so just wondering if anyone else has experience with this?

If I'm going to be buying a new drive motor, I'd like to convert my single speed motor to a dual speed like is on the 1635 sj. That high/low drive range is real nice. any input on doing this?

AP

Mine creeps front or back a little if I am on a slope. My machine also creeps the cuter wheel left or right if sitting sideways on a hill or when changing teeth.

I think I would look into having the old drive motor rebuilt, before going out and buying a new one. I believe a good hydraulic repair shop can rebuild those for about half the cost of new.
Jeff

Mine creeps front or back a little if I am on a slope. My machine also creeps the cuter wheel left or right if sitting sideways on a hill or when changing teeth.

Mine does also, but screwing the needle valve (flow control valve) tight will stop that.
If I go down ramps set on a steep angle the machine will sometimes overspeed. Makes life exciting.

Both of the free wheel bolts had come out so when I locked them both back into place the drive started working. Good enough for me. But thanks for the uploaded diagram and your input.

Back