162SE with dual 1mm Piston Ring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well in my quest in rebuilding a Husqvarna 162SE with dual rings I ordered a set of rings for a 61 both are 48mm bores. Working on the saw tonight went to put the rings on and guess what they dont fit. The ones i orders are 48X1.5MM the original rings are 48X1MM. I have looked at Bailey's and cant fond any Husky saws that have a 1MM ring. I am going to go out a limb and guess they are no longer avaiable.

Does anyone know where else to look for the rings because the piston and cylinder are both in great shape. It would also be nice to say I have a 30 year old all stock running saw.

What are my other options convert to a 266 or go all the way and make it a 272?

Edit: Sometimes I post without thinking I can get a new piston kit for a 61 from Bailey's.

Last edited:
162se

Myself I have never heard of rings 1mm thick, only 1.2mm and 1.5mm. If you know anyone in a machine shop it is posible to have them ground to the right thickness. you would be looking at removing .020 from the rings you have purchased. If the rings you need can no longer be purchased I see this as an option to consider to keep your stock saw running a little longer. Good luck, Rick!

I don't think the 266 and 162 are in the same family as the 61 and 272

They are, but that doesn't solve this problem......

The "family" is a large and pretty old one (dating from 1975/76), with a couple of models still in production (in Brazil).

There are lots of models, and several varieties of most of them - the short (and mostly chronologic) story is 162se, 61 Rancher, 266se, 66, Jonsered 670, Jonsered 630, 268se, 266xp, 670 Super, 268xp, 61, Jonsered 625, 670 Champ, 272xp, (streight) 268 - but then there are all the sub-versions off many of them.....:dizzy:

Last edited:
Well in my quest in rebuilding a Husqvarna 162SE with dual rings I ordered a set of rings for a 61 both are 48mm bores. Working on the saw tonight went to put the rings on and guess what they dont fit. The ones i orders are 48X1.5MM the original rings are 48X1MM. I have looked at Bailey's and cant fond any Husky saws that have a 1MM ring. I am going to go out a limb and guess they are no longer avaiable.

Does anyone know where else to look for the rings because the piston and cylinder are both in great shape. It would also be nice to say I have a 30 year old all stock running saw.

What are my other options convert to a 266 or go all the way and make it a 272?

Edit: Sometimes I post without thinking I can get a new piston kit for a 61 from Bailey's.

What you have is the early 162 with the thin-ring piston. The rings are .024", or just over 1mm thick. These rings are no longer available as I'm sure you guessed. They haven't been available since around 1995. Your best bet is to buy either a Meteor brand replacement or the in-house Woodsman Pro piston kit from Bailey's. Both are good quality and will make a good running saw.

Thanks everyone thats what im going to. Send the rings back and order the piston kit up and get this old girl running again.

Custom Made Piston Rings

You can get custom piston rings from Otto Gas Engine Works.

For more information contact: Otto Gas Engine Works, 2167 Blue Ball Road, Elkton MD, 21921-3330. Phone: 410-398-7340

Latest posts

Back