1800 vs 1590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannot find a dealer to save my life. Closest one is at least 30 miles away. And you pull onto their lot and a bandit 90 is the only thing sitting there. I prefer a bandit for their reliability but vermeer is a lot closer.

I've travelled farther to do tree jobs before.

yup Medina. I've always run vermeers just cause they're the closest to me. Used to run 1250's before going with an 1800, if I trade in for another 1800 it'll be my 3rd one. Way back when it was chuck n ducks I had an old m+m that I wish I never sold, looking for something super lightweight to pull with a bucket truck for light trim jobs. I hate pulling a 9000 lb chipper for light duty stuff and also be able to get 2 crews going. I'd love to demo a Bandit but it looks like the closest to me is southern OH about four hours south. Didn't do a search in PA so there may be one closer out east

There is a bandit dealer in Seville. It's the next exit on 71S from the Vermeer exit. I ordered some stuff from them for my 250xp, good service and the guy was very nice. He deals with Woodland a lot and is in the cleveland area often. He used to work for Rayco, so he knows more than just chippers or bandit stuff.

BTW, I see Rayco Ron pulled some salesman moves on ya! Haha, congrats on the new grinder. I'd buy your old grinder if I hadn't bought the chipper and crane this past winter. It's time to make some $ instead of spending it all.

There is a bandit dealer in Seville. It's the next exit on 71S from the Vermeer exit. I ordered some stuff from them for my 250xp, good service and the guy was very nice. He deals with Woodland a lot and is in the cleveland area often. He used to work for Rayco, so he knows more than just chippers or bandit stuff.

BTW, I see Rayco Ron pulled some salesman moves on ya! Haha, congrats on the new grinder. I'd buy your old grinder if I hadn't bought the chipper and crane this past winter. It's time to make some $ instead of spending it all.

Good to know about bandit being just south of vermeer, had no idea. Yeah I hear ya about the spending now, take to make some $$! That Rayco Ron is one smooth talker!

yup Medina. I've always run vermeers just cause they're the closest to me. Used to run 1250's before going with an 1800, if I trade in for another 1800 it'll be my 3rd one. Way back when it was chuck n ducks I had an old m+m that I wish I never sold, looking for something super lightweight to pull with a bucket truck for light trim jobs. I hate pulling a 9000 lb chipper for light duty stuff and also be able to get 2 crews going. I'd love to demo a Bandit but it looks like the closest to me is southern OH about four hours south. Didn't do a search in PA so there may be one closer out east

Cranberry pa. 20 min east of pittsburgh

SO which one did u buy?

I m in a similar situation. Which one did u end up buying and any feedback?

Don't know what the op ended up buying but I've worked with a couple 1800's over the years. My old boss still runs one as do the other two scaled up tree services in town. I hope they continue to as my 1590 has proven in the two months I've owned it that it is a much better machine. It eats bigger wood, faster, with less crotch cutting. 18" dbh ash tree, gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlkW13t_IO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I know it's no comparison but I actually bought a bandit 1390xl. I thought about it long and hard. I'm mostly residential doing a lot of backyard. I have 2 550s for chip trucks. I'll admit. I pussed out and went smaller. I don't regret it thou.

bandit

I hate our bandit dealer. Westchester tractor, slow as death and only half fix the problems. I like Vermeer in Mahopac very much, a good bunch of guys. That being said, I would never buy a Vermeer anything. Bandit it 10x the machine. I've run 150, 200, 250, 1390, 990, 1590, 1890 and the smaller of the monster ones, 2290 maybe? They are all great for their different applications. We have a brand new 990 with a winch and 99 hp Kubota at work, its a pretty damn nice 12 inch chipper. we have an old 1590, probably 2005 or so and its still my favorite all around chipper. Its the best machine for residential tree work IMO. If buy a bandit, you shouldn't have to see the dealer too often. IF you have minor problems, call bandit directly in Michigan, they are extremely helpful and friendly. If you have any experience with machinery, you know more wires and sensors mean more problems. Take one look under the shrouding on a Vermeer product. Make sure your wearing sunglasses because your going to be blinded by the excessive amount of small gauge wires and micro switches. You wont find that on bandit. Bandits computer seem to burn out pretty quickly, but it only affects auto feed, its really not that much of a problem.

sounds like you went with the 1390! I believe you will be super happy with that machine. I was responding to this because I have been running a 1590 now for a year and a half and I am still amazed! been playing with the chute a bit and had some fabrication work done to it so I can fit more into the box of my bucket truck. See the 1590's are taller higher chute and you have to lower the chute and angle up the end to fit in the back of the truck, because it is taller it is harder to get the chips all the way up and to the back so I fabricated by lengthening the chute and angling it just right along with another hole to keep it in place on the side adjuster bracket. This Chipper is a keeper man its AMAZING. I also have to say what are you towing it with mostly matters as well, with a full load of chips behind my bucket truck, man I am maxed out. I would not buy a larger heavier machine ( thus the reason I never got into Morbarks but they are great too just too heavy ). I welded a longer steel plate by the ring so the ring pintle hitch can be a bit lower so when attached to the truck it make the back of the chipper slightly lower so it's more feed friendly. Good luck! Hope that helps some. Oh did I mention the winch? Once you go with you never go without! if ya dont have one, GET ONE! :msp_sneaky:

Bandit

I know it's no comparison but I actually bought a bandit 1390xl. I thought about it long and hard. I'm mostly residential doing a lot of backyard. I have 2 550s for chip trucks. I'll admit. I pussed out and went smaller. I don't regret it thou.[/
You won't regret buying a Bandit Gtrees. If fact, you will probably trade in the 1390xl for a larger bandit model next time around. My nearest bandit dealer is 2.5 hours away. I've ran over 400 large trees through mine, and the only thing I've ordered from the dealer is new feed wheel tension springs and knives. Bandit is a money maker. Go big or go home :rock:

Don't know what the op ended up buying but I've worked with a couple 1800's over the years. My old boss still runs one as do the other two scaled up tree services in town. I hope they continue to as my 1590 has proven in the two months I've owned it that it is a much better machine. It eats bigger wood, faster, with less crotch cutting. 18" dbh ash tree, gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlkW13t_IO0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Eats the WOOD nice but she gets a little hung up on the crotch at 2:25 in the vid, my woodsman 18x has spoiled me. The woodsman bangs a little harder on the wood... the knives aren't staggered, but it pulls EVERYTHING in. Very nice chipper though, and I know the woodsman was not in the original debate just had to chime in.

Last edited:
Eats the WOOD nice but she gets a little hung up on the crotch at 2:25 in the vid, my woodsman 18x has spoiled me. The woodsman bangs a little harder on the wood... the knives aren't staggered, but it pulls EVERYTHING in.

I've heard that a woodsman is the best for crushing power. Never seen one myself though. I've heard they've had their share of reliability issues too though.

Hey guys, recently joined site hence my first post. Looking to buy a bandit 1590 6cyl. Deere 173hp winch,25" feed wheels, hyd. chute, auto-feed, all bells and whistles. $61,000 seem like a fair price? Thanks. Jeff

Hey guys, recently joined site hence my first post. Looking to buy a bandit 1590 6cyl. Deere 173hp winch,25" feed wheels, hyd. chute, auto-feed, all bells and whistles. $61,000 seem like a fair price? Thanks. Jeff

Sounds about right. I gave $49,500 for mine with the 142 horse perkins. No hydro on the chute but have winch and weld down infeed. They told me $8k for the deere upgrade but it would have taken 10 weeks which wasn't an option for me.

Just my .02. Unless you have a serious need to spend those types of bucks, why not go with a lightly used unit, same specs for half the money? Even if I could afford to shell out 60K for a new chipper, I wouldn't. I understand most if not all these machines are on some type of payment structure, but dang!

Just my .02. Unless you have a serious need to spend those types of bucks, why not go with a lightly used unit, same specs for half the money? Even if I could afford to shell out 60K for a new chipper, I wouldn't. I understand most if not all these machines are on some type of payment structure, but dang!
I bought my Morbark 2400 brand new in 2003 and I haven't had any loans for 7 years. It's the only way I've made it through this crappy economy but if you don't upgrade all this well used equipment can't last forever. I hate loans but I don't have 60,000 laying around. I've been doing tree work for 31 years and it sucks that our business is so full of incredible overhead but if you want to keep up you have to buy machines to make it easier on the employer and his employees.

I bought my Morbark 2400 brand new in 2003 and I haven't had any loans for 7 years. It's the only way I've made it through this crappy economy but if you don't upgrade all this well used equipment can't last forever. I hate loans but I don't have 60,000 laying around. I've been doing tree work for 31 years and it sucks that our business is so full of incredible overhead but if you want to keep up you have to buy machines to make it easier on the employer and his employees.

I get all that, and I suppose its way more difficult to finance used equipment, but there are still sweetheart deals to be had out there if you know where to look.

Latest posts

Back