1st Chainsaw - Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twilight228

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone for this site, and the wealth of information it contains.

I just purchased my first saw, after much reading, and settled on a used Stihl 026. It appears to have been well cared for. Paid $200 for the saw and case, but did have to drive a bit to get it. Not the greatest deal ever struck, but I’m satisfied...really didn't need the case either.

I’ve been borrowing various saws from family, predominantly a ms290, and am confident this will serve the purpose for a long time.

For any that look closely, I know, no “H” screw. I may address this, we’ll see if the need for a modification arises....

View attachment 299322View attachment 299323View attachment 299324.

Congratulations!
If you look inside, pull the white grommet off the side of the carb, you might find it has high and low both.

I checked the plug wire, and it's where it belongs. Thanks for the heads up.

I had to run out before pulling the grommet. I really hope there's one there, but my hope is tempered.

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.

Picked it up in south Jersey.

That's one of the nicest looking 026 saws I've seen in a while. I'm impressed with how the white plastic looks new

You cant buy a new saw of that quality for near that price, I think you did great! I really like those saws for many reasons. They are lightweight, ergonomics are great, they are very tough and well built saws. There are also a TON of used parts out there, that is a big bonus in my eyes.

Great find and worth the $200.00

The Stihl 026 is one of the finest saws Stihl ever made in my opinion. I have two of them and have no plans on parting with either. One I have had over 20 years and it does the bulk of my cutting. I
always transport my saws in a case if I have one that will fit, but to each their own...

Both of mine are stock (no mods). If you don't tamper with the exhaust, the one screw carb is probably fine.

Your saw looks to be very lightly used. May need a fuel line or carb kit down the way but they are robust, light and powerful.

I filled your rep bucket for good first saw choice!

Wanted to add that neither of my saws are the pro version with the adjustable oiler but have never had oiler issues running an 18" .325 bar. (I now have 16" .325 on them)

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I thought about a Pro version, but they were more $$, have more moving parts, and more difficult to find in as good condition as i found this one.

It has an 18 inch bar, which will be fine for my use (.325 chain). I've read that a lot of people agree that they are best with a 16.

Looking forward getting it into some wood.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

I thought about a Pro version, but they were more $$, have more moving parts, and more difficult to find in as good condition as i found this one.

It has an 18 inch bar, which will be fine for my use (.325 chain). I've read that a lot of people agree that they are best with a 16.

Looking forward getting it into some wood.

You suck! Your first saw should be a Home Depot Homelite, so you can learn to appreciate better saws:msp_angry:

Congrats on a good pick up! Have fun and stick around:msp_cool:

New saw rep!

026 is one of my favorites. I have two now and both are ported. They were just fine before I messed with them. Now they are AWESOME! :rock:

The PRO version has a decomp valve which is not needed at all and an adjustable high output oiler. I put a plug in place of the decomp valve on mine.

If you have any carb issues, put a WT194 fully adjustable carb on and your problems are solved. I did that to my MS260 and it cured all my issues

Steve

If you have any carb issues, put a WT194 fully adjustable carb on and your problems are solved. I did that to my MS260 and it cured all my issues

Steve

Same thing I did on my father's 026P. It was a little lean for my taste, with the blocked carb......... And I wanted to hog out the exhaust :)

New saw rep!

026 is one of my favorites. I have two now and both are ported. They were just fine before I messed with them. Now they are AWESOME! :rock:

The PRO version has a decomp valve which is not needed at all and an adjustable high output oiler. I put a plug in place of the decomp valve on mine.

I believe the pro version also had the oiler that that was driven off the clutch drum rather than the drive shaft. This has the added feature of only oiling when the chain is moving - I believe to be a good thing. I changed my 026 into one of these with a kit I found on e-bay. Contained a new oil pump (adjustable) a new oil pump driver and a new clutch drum slotted to accept the oil pump driver. Was like $30 if I recall. Definitely worth it IMHO.

Last edited:
Congratulations, you couldn't ask for a better first saw. Great quality, light, and plenty powerful. If you Muff Mod it you will really wake it up. And for bar and chain I like an 18" bar, but a 16" is fine too, and I've had the best performance with Stihl RS or RM. Make sure you get non-safety chain for it and you will be very happy with that saw for many years to come.

Nice saw. I picked up a not quite as shiny 026 this winter as my first 'real' saw. Worked great until this weekend. :msp_angry:

Such am improvement over the Poulan/Sears I had been using, really a different tool.

Searching the old threads now on carb issues now

Steve

Agreed. My first 026 was a basket case that fell out of a truck going down the highway. I replaced all the broken and missing parts and put it back together stock to see if I wanted to keep it. It was fine with the original carburetor before porting but was definitely lean after porting. A Walbro WT-194 doesn't have any fuel or air restriction problems and meters very well.

If you are wanting to put a adjustable carb on it a wt22 will serve just fine. They will even give it the fuel it needs with a muff mod. Plus they can be had cheaper than a 194.

Where can you find a wt22? I actually look before buying the saw at carb options just in case.

Like I said, I read a lot of threads in here trying to decide which saw to pursue.

I do really appreciate all the input, keep it coming.

Back