2 ~24" dia ~12' long straight Ash saw logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello

I have 2 ~24" dia ~12-16' long straight Ash saw logs. Any suggestions as to what to cut them into? I enjoy wood working, am planing on building my kitchen cabinets, ....the list goes on.

This Ash was dying at the top, however, I consider the saw logs green. Is there a certain amount of time before I NEED to get them to the mill?

Any one know of a bandmill around the Mankato, Glenco, Arlington, MN area? Anyone do any milling for barter?

Thank you for your thoughts and replies!

Dan :chainsaw:

Seems to me ash will attract the bugs quicker than anything else I have messed with. Dont leave them on the ground.

Hello

I have 2 ~24" dia ~12-16' long straight Ash saw logs. Any suggestions as to what to cut them into? I enjoy wood working, am planing on building my kitchen cabinets, ....the list goes on.

This Ash was dying at the top, however, I consider the saw logs green. Is there a certain amount of time before I NEED to get them to the mill?

Any one know of a bandmill around the Mankato, Glenco, Arlington, MN area? Anyone do any milling for barter?

ManyHobbies: are you in the emerald ash borer quarantine area? If so, it may be illegal to transport out of your local area, check with your Department of agriculture to see if you are. We don't need to transport the bug any further. What concerned me is that you said that this tree appeared to be dying at the top, this is what the bug does to ash trees, and its spreading from Canada southward.:jawdrop:

Last edited:
Hello

I'd saw them into 5/4 lumber ASAP!!

Rob

I got some pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks good, I would cut off the funny end in the first picture, as I assume its the small end. Just makes it harder to plan your cuts.
Ian

Coat with what?

Thanks

Dan

Anchorseal from UC Coatings, or melted waxparaffin can be spread on with a puddy knife...

Anchorseal is what i use, and it's worth the $$ it cost, if you have a decent log that's going to be sawn for cabinets or furniture... I don't coat logs that will be sawn into construction lumber...

Rob

Latest posts

Back