2.5mo old Catalyst and Refractory...this is BAD.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckydiesel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Back in October I purchased a new catalyst, refractory, gasket kit, and secondary air probe for my VC Encore 2190 through Hechlers online. After installing the new parts, and making sure everything else was in good shape, it was operating like an entirely different stove.

After spending over $500 for all these parts, my wife and I have been VERY careful with the stove temps. While we don't have a cat probe, we have a surface thermometer on both the griddle, and the side of the stove-back, where the hot gasses leave the refractory. We NEVER allow the griddle temps to get over 650, and NEVER let the temp at the stove back to get over 700 (I have been told that 600 is ideal on the back thermometer).

A few weeks ago I noticed the catalyst temps weren't staying up when we turned down the primary air like they had been. I thought the catalyst might have some ash blockage, so I let the stove die down overnight and went to clean it the next morning. What I found was pretty disturbing given the money we just spent a couple months ago, and the care we have taken to keep everything in good shape.

The can on the new catalyst had warped so badly on the corners that it broke the sides out of the new refractory!View attachment 271420View attachment 271422View attachment 271421

What's worse? I just called Hechlers and they told me that there is no warranty for can warpage. He recommended that I cut the can off the catalyst and use stove cement to patch the refractory. :O

When I reminded the guy that these parts are only a couple months old and this SHOULD NOT have happened, he gave me the number for Applied Ceramics (who they buy catalysts from) and told me that they handle the warranties on their catalysts directly. Unfortunately all I got was a voicemail, so I'll just have to wait and see how this comes out.

Has anyone else had this issue with a catalyst this new? I am well aware that stainless (which I believe the can was made of) is prone to warpage, as I run a shop which does a great deal of work with #304 stainless), but to me, this is very much a flawed can design if it warps this much in a couple months of proper temperature range woodburning.

The can on the original catalyst from the mid-90's (the previous owner of the stove never changed it), was bowed, but nothing like this.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,

Phillip

Latest posts

Back