Old CRAFTSMAN SAW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Satmary

Reaction score
Hey folks,
Got a question about a chainsaw and though this might be the right place for it !
I was given a old Craftsman Chain saw a few years back ( love all old equipment especially when you get them cleaned up and looking and running better than a new one)
It is a Craftman 24" 3.7 C.I. 61 cc's and it looks and runs perfectly !!!!
The problem I'm running into is this,
I need a new Chain !!!!!
They no longer make the Chain or bar for this machine. Chain #71-36224 and currently there is a oregon chain on it 84 DL's and links are stamped 76
so sears parts direct says there chains are discontinued and Oregon says the 76 was discontinued many many years ago
The bar (original) # 530-044672 only has the model number and made in Canada stamped on it
I can't find ANY info on this saw no manuals no pictures no references nothing, like it never existed yet I'm looking at it
Can anyone steer me in the right direction on how to get a new chain on this machine ?
Thank you

Hey folks,
Got a question about a chainsaw and though this might be the right place for it !
I was given a old Craftsman Chain saw a few years back ( love all old equipment especially when you get them cleaned up and looking and running better than a new one)
It is a Craftman 24" 3.7 C.I. 61 cc's and it looks and runs perfectly !!!!
The problem I'm running into is this,
I need a new Chain !!!!!
They no longer make the Chain or bar for this machine. Chain #71-36224 and currently there is a oregon chain on it 84 DL's and links are stamped 76
so sears parts direct says there chains are discontinued and Oregon says the 76 was discontinued many many years ago
The bar (original) # 530-044672 only has the model number and made in Canada stamped on it
I can't find ANY info on this saw no manuals no pictures no references nothing, like it never existed yet I'm looking at it
Can anyone steer me in the right direction on how to get a new chain on this machine ?
Thank you
Welcome and sorry I don't know anything about the B&C. Can you post a picture of the saw. My Dad had one years ago and I'm trying to locate a model.

My 3.7 looks like this, does yours?

2393fd31dda58da54f1756f46d408a00.jpg

Since the bar you have is a Poulan Part Number I assume you have a craftsman made by Poulan.

If you needed a new bar Oregon makes one for that saw.

Note that the Oregon bar uses 81 drive links vs the 84 DL of your current bar.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/powercut™-guide-bar,-24"/p/240rndd176
The chains mentioned by Ray Benson two posts above are spot on.

Any dealer can make you a chain. If not I can spin you one but with the USPS shipping it gets high.

Just like the one i had, i wore out many years ago. have a box of parts around here somewhere.
Mine came from a dear departed friend, a Steam Train engineer that I spent many years with , his hip`s eventually wore out and he went through hip replacements. I did a lot of projects for him around his home and he wanted me to take a house and big garage load of his tools as gratitude for my work, I declined taking all his stuff as I had every tool he had and it would have been difficult storing it all but I did take the saw and a few other hand tools just to appease him, the saw only seen a very limited bit of use as I already had dozens of chainsaws from my years of working the woods but it reminds me of him every time I see it setting high up on the shelf queen shelves.

Nice unit Jerry. Looks new.
Do you have the little top handle that matches? I have both. ☺
Actually that is the only Craftsman chainsaw I have, the pic I posted is not my saw but one just like it, the pic may have come from another thread on here. My saw actually has a chain brake instead of the hand guard on the one in the pic., it is a fine saw with very few hours on it but I was used to running Stihl PRO saws like the 034, 036, 044`s I had at the time the 3.7 came to me.

Thought i had a box somewhere, not many as i thought though. guess i trashed the rest of it years ago. kinda weird what ya find in old hidey holes ya haven't looked in years.

View attachment 1148304View attachment 1148305View attachment 1148306View attachment 1148307
It gets much worse when one has around 100 chainsaws spanning from the late 1940`s up until the mid to late 2020`s. I have been amassing spares for so many saw models over the years that there are many boxes full of long forgotten parts, many hidden away 40 years or more ago. There are even boxes of complete saws I have not opened along with numerous boxes of parts that likely will not see daylight again in my lifetime. A friend once told me collecting is a disease and I certainly can attest to that.

It gets much worse when one has around 100 chainsaws spanning from the late 1940`s up until the mid to late 2020`s. I have been amassing spares for so many saw models over the years that there are many boxes full of long forgotten parts, many hidden away 40 years or more ago. There are even boxes of complete saws I have not opened along with numerous boxes of parts that likely will not see daylight again in my lifetime. A friend once told me collecting is a disease and I certainly can attest to that.
Just reading that, I feel better about myself already.:)

Ah yes, the 3.7. My father in law bought one new in the late 70s. Not a bad unit, fixed jet high side that was very rich.
Parts it out around 2000 due to lack of parts.
It replaced a Remington Super 660 that still exists and may still run. That is the saw that introduced me to firewood cutting. I swear it weighed 20 pounds.

If I get away from work in time today I hope to go pick up 40 or so more saws.

Latest posts

Back