2 cycle mixes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProCharger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a Stihl MS460 and I planned on using up the rest of my Echo Power Blend X Xtended Life Oil that came with my trimmer and blower....will the Echo stuff work with the Stihl saw? I know it probably sounds like a dumb question but we have a Husqvarna demolition saw at work that unless you remove/deactivate something on the saw it will not run unless using Husqvarna oil. I have been using Stihl mix in the saw but want to get rid of the Echo stuff (was free) and I would rather not find out in the woods the hard way.

Thanks in advance.

Brett

At the right ratio, the Echo PowerBlend will work fine. I use Stihl Ultra when I actually mix gas. Most of the time I use Tru-Fuel @ 40-1.

As far as the Husqvarna demo-saw not working without using Husqvarna oil, I think someone's pulling your leg. Unless the fuel line has a built-in lab for analyzing what oil your actually using, how would it know?

The Echo oil will work fine..!!

Just DON"T try mixing various oil brands...they often don't "play well" together..!!

Even Stihl black bottle "partial-syn" and Stihl Ultra don't mix together correctly..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I have it mixed at 50:1 ready to go. As far as the demo saw I can assure you there is a way the saw detects it. If that mix wasn't orange that saw would NOT run no matter what we did to it. We called up our supplier who is also a dealer and they told us it needed to be their mix or it wouldn't run unless it was deactivated. We took the saw to them and now it will run on any 2 cycle mix. I will do a search in a bit and see if I can come up with anything regarding the Husky.

I have it mixed at 50:1 ready to go. As far as the demo saw I can assure you there is a way the saw detects it. If that mix wasn't orange that saw would NOT run no matter what we did to it. We called up our supplier who is also a dealer and they told us it needed to be their mix or it wouldn't run unless it was deactivated. We took the saw to them and now it will run on any 2 cycle mix. I will do a search in a bit and see if I can come up with anything regarding the Husky.

Bull####.

I actually checked and they do have what they call Opti-Guard. It must use a photocell to monitor the correct fuel-mix color. To the OP, I stand corrected. You were right !!!!!

What was the cost to deactivate the saw?

It didn't cost anything. Here is what the manual says to deactivate it. Looks like it's only a feature on abrasive blade cutters.

Disengaging OilGuard
(K760 OilGuard)
• When the machine is delivered, the OilGuard plug (A) and
the blue indicator pin (B) are fitted in the tank.

• If you are in a situation where you do not have access to
Husqvarna OilGuard oil, but you have oil of a similar
quality, you can deactivate the OilGuard system using the
disconnection function.

• To deactivate the function, pry off the OilGuard plug using
a screwdriver and then break off the indicator pin. Now fit
the disconnector plug (C) in the tank to complete
deactivation and to cover the hole.

• If you want to reactivate the OilGuard system, press the
OilGuard plug again. The system is then reactivated, but
note that the broken indicator pin cannot be refitted. A
broken indicator pin indicates that the OilGuard system
has been disconnected.

• A broken indicator pin indicates that the OilGuard system
has been disconnected.

• You can purchase a new indicator pin as a spare, but this
is only sold in grey which indicates that the OilGuard
system has been deactivated since the machine left the
factory.

Wow I had a hard time beliving that, thanks for the info. That sensor has to add a couple hundred to the price of the saw

The Husqvarna K 760 Oilguard is specially designed to prevent engine damage resulting from an incorrect oil-fuel mixture. The K 760 Oilguard uses specially colored OilGuard oil, developed specifically for dusty environments like construction sites and ideal for air-cooled two-stroke engines. It is also possible to use standard two-stroke oil in a K 760 Oilguard, as the OilGuard feature can easily be deactivated. An optical detection system indicates if there is a sufficient amount of the correct type of oil in the fuel.

just bypass that joke and run any good quality oil. any brand name 2 stroke oil will work perfectly fine at 50-ish:1.
or just dump enough oil in the tank until she fires!:laugh:

Wow, I never would have believed it. Makes some sense for the construction industry though, in order to prevent straight gassing- lots of hired help that don't know or care what they are doing. They need to offer this on trimmers and blowers as well. Landscapers are in a similar situation.

I actually checked and they do have what they call Opti-Guard. It must use a photocell to monitor the correct fuel-mix color. To the OP, I stand corrected. You were right !!!!!

I'll be d@mmed. I was just about to call bull#### X 3.

The flippy cap engineer must have moved on to a new project.:msp_scared:

Maybe they can incorporate table saw safety into a chainsaw.

Table saw meats your weenie. Safe Saw: Hot Dog Demo - YouTube

That is an interesting setup to say the least, but it sounds like a good way to protect an expensive saw from a fuel mix error.

Well remember these are being used by construction workers after all.:msp_unsure:

I'll bet a lot of them met untimely deaths due to being straight gassed.

Latest posts

Back