2 Cylinder Deere 66SV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had only two of the echo versions and like Jacob, find them quite underwhelming, powerwise. As a novelty if they do it for you, then they are a lovely collector. Easy to work on and there seems to be still lots of them out there - though many are jealously guarded. Even part saws bring good money here.
P4190776.jpg

Come on Mr Troll wide open for ya :hmm3grin2orange: I still have one on my wish list ...Bob

I pick on ole' saw troll a bit about the power / weight drum beating. I agree with him mostly... But sometimes you just get a saw cause you like it... I sure wouldn't pass up a 66SV at a garage sale! They're just "unique"???

I am sure my Echo CS-60S will out preform it also but the 2 cylinders are pretty cool and someday one may come my way...Bob

Coolness was the only reason I bought it, but it would have been nice to here that they have ballz to back up the weight. Bob, in my year or so of trolling, I have come to be very jealous of your collection of echos, and I appreciate the knowledge of echos that you share with everybody here. I would contribute more if there were CS-750/Deere 80EV questions, but there just aren't. Maybe I can make up for my trolling by posting a video.

‪13maley's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

66sv

JR, I have had one for 21 years. Echo built them for J.D 1985 thru 1987.Echo built their version CST-610EVL 1983-1988. I have seen the 66SV go for $600 on ebay.I paid $675 for mine in 1989 at the John Deere Dealership. John Deere collectors love them. They are a bit heavy for 61cc but they are the smoothest running saw that you will ever cut with. The vibration level is minimal. Parts are still avalable through Echo. They are all metal except for the air breather cover. Mine weighs 20 lbs. with a 24 inch bar. They are built like a tank and will be running for many years to come.

I think the saw will be here by Thursday. I will try and post the 2nd ever 66SV video on Youtube. The seller said it had a sharp chain, so hopefully all I have to do is fuel it up and cut. I know this unlikely, but would anybody here be willing to part with their chainbrake for a fair price?

Last edited:
66sv

I think the saw will be here by Thursday. I will try and post the 2nd ever 66SV video on Youtube. The seller said it had a sharp chain, so hopefully all I have to do is fuel it up and cut. I know this unlikely, but would anybody here be willing to part with their chainbrake for a fair price?

JR, you can order one from Echo. When all these late model hotrod saws start acting up I go and get old reliable and finishing cutting the red oak log.

JR, you can order one from Echo. When all these late model hotrod saws start acting up I go and get old reliable and finishing cutting the red oak log.

On partstree.com it says its no longer available. Maybe one of these days a chainbrake wielding echo will wind up in my mailbox. I am SOOPER jealous Sawbone's CST echo that has both the chain brake and full wrap bar.

66sv

I have seen nice clean JD saws like that one bring $600 on e-Bay. The same saw in echo orange CST-610EVL will bring around $350. The John Deere collectors love their equipment. I guess perception is a factor.

I have seen nice clean JD saws like that one bring $600 on e-Bay. The same saw in echo orange CST-610EVL will bring around $350. The John Deere collectors love their equipment. I guess perception is a factor.

See my earlier post (above) .... lately the Echo saws are going for $400+ in imperfect shape on eBay. The JD saws go for more because of (#1) they were made for a fewer number of years (#2) during those years, there were still more Echo saws produced and (#3) the legendary JD fanatic loyalty.

The 66SV is so heavy that once you get it up on the log this puppy will go to town all by itself.

Yet it has two good looking ones just like the big saws.

Seriously though, maybe its because I'm 27, but the weight doesn't bother me. I've been cutting with the 18.7 lb (w/o bar, chain, & fluids) 80EV instead of my husky 359 because the Husky is hard to start, hard to keep running, and I recently had to put a new fuel line and carb in it, and after a few outings it was running like crap again.

Just like you said, when the late model hotrod saw isn't working, I bust out ole reliable. I can't vouch for new big echos, but the old ones are bullet proof.

Straight Cutter

JR, one thing that you will like about the 66SV is that the saw will cut your rounds square on the ends. Some saws just don't cut straight and the cuts end up angled. Sometimes I think the ergonomically 7 degree angled handle on the new saws and the saw being out of balance is the problem and not the bar and chain. My neighbor has got a Stihl Farmboss and you have to struggle to keep it straight. We put a new Stihl bar and 33RSC chain on it and it still cuts crooked.

These two-cylinder saws are going for stoopid money right now. A non-runner Echo just sold today for $293 PLUS shipping .... and another 66SV was just listed ...... :msp_w00t:

Back