2 MS460's same problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was the carb. i robbed one off a 044 and put it on there, runs like a pickle seeder now.

New member here, any help appreciated. My MS 460 has been dying occasionally as well. Never when in a full-throttle cut, only when limbing when I let off the throttle. Opened up the muffler hole to double the original size, now problem is worse. Feels just like when the tank runs low on gas. Called my dealer, he is not aware of a common problem. He told me to open the fuel cap when it does it to see if there is vacuum- he says tank vent. I ran it and opened the tank every couple minutes with no improvement. Saw has less than 20 hours.

Welcome Kleek,

Always run my saws full throddle no matter what size load the bar is in.Most folks around here say the new Stihl carbs run,in general, on the lean side and that's with a stock muffler.Opening the muffler in my opinion will make a saw run leaner.

I did open the muffler on my MS290.The card adjustments were to the richer side and it's running fine at full throddle.

Rick

Jim, is there no difference in carbs between the 044 and 046? Never measured it but I thought the venturi might be bigger.

Does your customer's saw still run well? John

Kleek........the problem you are having with your 046 is something I am unfortunatly seeing too often lately. What happens is the mid section of your fuel supply is slim to none. It is the EPA requirments that is making this happen. So far the solution I use is to lift the metering lever slightly(and I mean slightly) then put a proper adjustment on it. That seems to at least help the problem. Take it to your dealer.....if he deals with alot of pro users and sells alot of 046's he should know about this.

Thanks for the replies. I figured lean, especially when opening the muffler made the problem worse. I have had several 046's which all performed perfectly, just this one needs a little tweaking. I will attempt the metering lever adjustment, thanks again.

Hi,does anyone know why Stihl has a 90 day warranty and Husky a 2 year one?At what bar length does the Stihl 044 and the 046 oiler have a problem?Thanks,RON K.

Back