2 new aquisitions and a question or 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret4207

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Picked up a Homie Super Ex Auto for $20 in excellent shape, pops but no run. Had one for years that hung off the near side hames on my horse, great little saw. Also got a running J'red 630. Filthy, but runs decent. I need to know what other saws have the same top cover, the smaller air filter section to be precise. Can't seem to find one on the net.

My bigger question. My ultra reliable Husky 2100 has no spark. I assumed it was a bad coil and got a used replacement. Still no spark. I've changed plugs, cleaned the ground contact areas, even ran a ground wire from coil mount to plug- no joy. The flywheel magnet seems okay, but I have no way to measure magnetic "pull" on a screw driver. Is there a way to test the coil? Short of buying another and hoping for the best, I'm stumped. The SEMA coils don't grow on trees anymore.

On the 2100 I would check all wires for bare spots that may be grounding out. Have you ruled out the kill switch being bad? I once bought a Poulan 5200 for $25 that the PO could not get started, turns out the switch was bad.

In the orig post, it's a Super EZ, not an EX!

The 2100 has no kill switch. Hasn't worked for years and I already unhooked the wire. It seems odd 2 coils would be bad, but not out of the realm of possibility. Is there a way to check the coil for good/bad?

In the orig post, it's a Super EZ, not an EX!

The 2100 has no kill switch. Hasn't worked for years and I already unhooked the wire. It seems odd 2 coils would be bad, but not out of the realm of possibility. Is there a way to check the coil for good/bad?
Where did you unhook the wire? The coil end or the kill switch end? Best way to check a coil is against a known runner. Or have someone ohm a working one and you compare the numbers.

Kill switch end on the original. The switch broke years ago so I taped it up. I already checked that. On the new/used one the wire was broken off at coil. I added heavy insulation tape to be sure it wasn't grounding.

Anyone know what a good coil should read for ohms?

Kill switch end on the original. The switch broke years ago so I taped it up. I already checked that. On the new/used one the wire was broken off at coil. I added heavy insulation tape to be sure it wasn't grounding.

Anyone know what a good coil should read for ohms?
If you find someone to compare the ohms it will save time. I got all Stihls or I would help you . Post up the ohms you got on that one. Test the spark plug boot and the hot on the coil with the wire off. My Stihl coils read 12 -13 IdK what yours should be exactly. I tested mine not grounded on the saw not sure if it matters we will find out soon.

If you have a yellowish spark
then that would indicate weak.
No spark then replace the coil wire with a new one. If that doesn't work then I would say the coils are NFG. Make sure you set gap right and there wasn't paper left in from gapping it. Don't ask me how I know that..lol

Back