2 stroke running backwards?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any loop scavenged 2 stroke will run backwards, given the ignition timing is set pretty timidly. This was pretty normal back in the day for golf carts and mercury out board had an engine that gained the moniker of "dock crasher". Which did the same.

Uniflow 2 strokes are capable but should not be run for long as the oil pump, cam shaft, ect are running the wrong direction. if they fire off in reverse they need stopped asap. Detroit engines could be set up to run a forward or reverse configuration, but they required different parts to do so, for the above mentioned reasons.

I had a Case S tractor running backwards after I completed an overhaul on it years ago. Started right up idled good, sounded better than it ever had when I revved it up. Proud of myself, my 1st complete teardown and overhaul by me alone. Went to move it out of the shed and discovered I had 3 fast reverse gears and 1 creeper forward gear.....

The motor cars we had at CN rail were 2 cycle hit and miss engines and you reversed the timer and the motor reversed direction and you backed up.To go in reverse you shut the igntion off reversed the timer lever and when the motor was on its last revolution you snapped the ignition on and sure as your uncles Bob you were in reverse.
Had it happen on a 1965 Snow Cruiser snow mobile with the 362 cc OMC opposed engine for you American boys the machine was the same as the Johnson And Evinrude Skeeter the motor was running on one cylinder and going up a steep hill and laboring she just about died and then coughed and ran in reverse I shut her down changed the one fouled spark plug and off we went in forward.
Kash

Back