2 stroke running backwards?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard about that happening with detroits
Years back I had a 2-stroke 671 detroit diesel in a fire engine start in reverse. Believe I took my finger off of the start button too quickly. Also some dirt bikes but I can't remember which ones.

We use to get the old skil 1629 saws run backwards once in awhile. Same with the odd homelite xl76 (xl101)
had a newer saw do it couple years ago, that was a surprise- can’t remember but thought it was 400 series husky?

The motor cars we had at CN rail were 2 cycle hit and miss engines and you reversed the timer and the motor reversed direction and you backed up.To go in reverse you shut the igntion off reversed the timer lever and when the motor was on its last revolution you snapped the ignition on and sure as your uncles Bob you were in reverse.
Had it happen on a 1965 Snow Cruiser snow mobile with the 362 cc OMC opposed engine for you American boys the machine was the same as the Johnson And Evinrude Skeeter the motor was running on one cylinder and going up a steep hill and laboring she just about died and then coughed and ran in reverse I shut her down changed the one fouled spark plug and off we went in forward.
Kash
My first experience with this concept was when as a kid, I got to go for a ride on a Fairmont speeder car with my uncle. He worked for the Soo Line, and we traveled down the track several miles away from town to go visit a friend at his hunting camp. Upon our return trip, he showed me how the engine was reversed by shutting it off, and just before it stopped spinning, he moved the ignition timing lever and turned it back on. POP! and it reversed direction! I was absolutely amazed!

Old Harley Davidson golf carts had 2 stroke engines that ran backwards for reverse. Big switch to change polarity on the starter motor/generator then when you pressed the peddle the engine ran whichever way the starter was turning.

Latest posts

Back