2 Stroke V8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rodeobob

rodeobob

ArboristSite Operative
8V92 DDEC IV @ 550HP is what all good boners are made of.
Super charger on a detroit is like the reed valves.
Plus 2 turbos on the later 92's.

Coming in a close second would be an E9 Mack V8.

Of course I wouldnt like to be footing the fuel bill for either.

Nate66n1

Nate66n1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes it is a T, has the blower on the drivers side and the turbo on the passenger side. I'm going to use the factory hood with a little bit of body lift to compensate. It came out of a 1965 c-65 If I remember correct. I'm goin to try out the factory Eaton trans and see what the gear ratios are like because the rears in it now are 4:11 but I have 3/4 ton rears that are in the low to mid threes.

CR500

CR500

Diesel, Snowmobile, & Chainsaw Technician

Call me crazy but I'm a big fan of the 903 Cummins. Now most people do not realize that Cummins made a V8, that is one reason I like it lol. (it's different) They get a bad rep from most but really if you had a guy that knew what he was doing that engine could produce 300 HP. We had saying in Ohio about CAT and Cummins. "CAT bigger than Cummins"

Way back in the day Cummins produced a 2 cycle that was put in a race car and holds the highest place finished for a diesel in "said" class

rodeobob

rodeobob

ArboristSite Operative
903 were a 4 stroke. they were Ok till the bigcam inline 6 came along.

you could get a bit more out of a 903 than 300hp. they were around that NA. Turbo they were 335-350hp and you could get more out of them. you could jack them right up if you restricted the fuel return. lol.

Cummins did a few smaller V8's as well. 555 and VT190 or something. There was 4 or 5 or the smaller motors.

shootingarts

shootingarts

ArboristSite Operative
south of the border, the Mississippi border!
Yes it is a T, has the blower on the drivers side and the turbo on the passenger side. I'm going to use the factory hood with a little bit of body lift to compensate. It came out of a 1965 c-65 If I remember correct. I'm goin to try out the factory Eaton trans and see what the gear ratios are like because the rears in it now are 4:11 but I have 3/4 ton rears that are in the low to mid threes.

Always notice the sprint car in your avatar. I cut a few laps in one back when the world was young. About the only thing to compare with my clothes on was sitting on top of a really good cutting horse really working. That and the mention of the high gears for the rear end reminded me, in the early seventies some of the guys towing late models around the gulf coast got ahold of some about three to one rear gears for the one ton Fords. One of them outran a 442 Olds top end, loaded, and with the race car behind! They were loading up to leave a race and I saw the chief mechanic strapping on a helmet and climbing in the race car on the trailer. I asked him what he was doing. Turned out the same driver that had outran the 442 had also spun the truck, trailer, race car and all at well over a hundred another time. Mike said the only safe place to be was strapped in the race car asleep with Ray driving the truck!

Hu

CR500

CR500

903 were a 4 stroke. they were Ok till the bigcam inline 6 came along.

you could get a bit more out of a 903 than 300hp. they were around that NA. Turbo they were 335-350hp and you could get more out of them. you could jack them right up if you restricted the fuel return. lol.

Cummins did a few smaller V8's as well. 555 and VT190 or something. There was 4 or 5 or the smaller motors.

Yeah the 903 was a 4 stroke... I like the Series 60 from DD, was a pretty good running inline 4 stroke lol

harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
I believe that you could spec a Dodge D5N truck down under with a 3-53.

I get the feeling you would be late everywhere you went. But at least they would know you were on ya way.
Pretty sure the 3-53 was never offered. However the 6v53 was offered in two variants late on in the series in with the D5N 700. 600 may have been but I'm pretty sure it was just the 700. For that class of truck they were certainly not underpowered in the day!
Picture397_zps9844b45e.jpg

It also shows one of the Cummins V8s we got offered, and earlier on the 180 (cummins v8) was an option

AKDoug

AKDoug

Pro Staff
If you guys have ever been in a loaded concrete truck with a 2 cylinder Detroit you wouldn't like them so much lol. Tough motors to kill though!
Amen to that. We have one in one of our fire department tankers. I went 16 hours non-stop in that thing and I never wanted to bet back into it again. Loud and slow... give me a big inline 6, 4-stroke any day of the week.

harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
If you guys have ever been in a loaded concrete truck with a 2 cylinder Detroit you wouldn't like them so much lol. Tough motors to kill though!
that's a sweeping statement, it's like saying all cummins are gutless... And I assume you mean 2 cycle not 2 cylinder! Gotta be a bit more specific - do you mean a 6-53 detroit or a 12v92T? Not sure you'd be calling a 12v92T underpowered at 665hp.

They range from a 2-71 (142cu, 68hp) to a 16v149T1 (2384cu, 1600hp)

Nate66n1

Nate66n1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Always notice the sprint car in your avatar. I cut a few laps in one back when the world was young. About the only thing to compare with my clothes on was sitting on top of a really good cutting horse really working. That and the mention of the high gears for the rear end reminded me, in the early seventies some of the guys towing late models around the gulf coast got ahold of some about three to one rear gears for the one ton Fords. One of them outran a 442 Olds top end, loaded, and with the race car behind! They were loading up to leave a race and I saw the chief mechanic strapping on a helmet and climbing in the race car on the trailer. I asked him what he was doing. Turned out the same driver that had outran the 442 had also spun the truck, trailer, race car and all at well over a hundred another time. Mike said the only safe place to be was strapped in the race car asleep with Ray driving the truck!

Hu
Yea I raced Sprint cars for nine years and I'm now 27. I decided to put racing on hold because of having our first child. It is quite arrousing some would say but after a little while you get pretty used to it. Still a extremely fun Time until you paid the bills for it haha. As you were saying it is weird how safe you feel strapped in one even though you know what could happen.

CR500

CR500

Yes that's true! Better keep it on the matt and when you hit a hill and start downshifting you better drop them 2 at a time!

I like the 60 series Detroit...

Played with one in college...we tried to mis-adjust the valves to hear what a Series 60 sounds like with out of spec valves. While we did not really load the truck down the truck at idle and a blip of throttle was not even phased lol.

Sadly it will only run on 4 Cylinders, the N-14 we played with could run on 1, it was painful to hear lol

Yukon Stihl

Yukon Stihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I've got a massive DD crush at the moment and simply MUST have a 6v53 for my IHC C1800. But that aside, I'm pretty sure the US army still uses 6v53T in some areas, pretty sure they're an all alloy version with turbo (obv.), aftercooler and I think up to 500hp. Not bad for a 318cu diesel using 1930s technology.
Hi Harry
I believe the 318cu DD is actually an 8v71,i used to have a dump truck with that engine,i had a 671 in a fuel truck that had both turbo and supercharger.The only one i have left now is a 671 in my Champion grader.
Thomas

Yukon Stihl

Yukon Stihl

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

I have one of the Mack E9 V8's,it was easyer on fuel than the 475 Cummins that i had.It getts better milage than the 3406Cat i have too.If the cab wasn't shook to $hit i wouls still have it on the road.I'm hoping to find an old Mack fro early 60's and use the cab from that and make an old sleeper truck.Every driver i had in the Mack would always say it was the strongest truck they ever drove.Just don't expect the Mack engine brake to slow you down much,it always helped to hold your hat out the window when you were using that brake:ices_rofl:
Thomas

harrygrey382

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi Harry
I believe the 318cu DD is actually an 8v71,i used to have a dump truck with that engine,i had a 671 in a fuel truck that had both turbo and supercharger.The only one i have left now is a 671 in my Champion grader.
Thomas
How did the 6-71 go with a turbo? Must give it a healthy extra push. They're the oldest ones started in 1938 they even powered the D-Day landing craft. 8v71 is normally rated at 318 horsepower - it's actually 568cu (8 cylinders at 71cu each). I've found an old scrapped wheel dozer nearby with a 6-71 I've got my eye on but I think the owner wants too much for it :( Damnit all I need is a DD

Latest posts