2 videos: Birch & Maple - speedline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squad143

Tree Guy
Reaction score
A couple of videos shot on the same property two weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXhIB8hRcXE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC6ptlpH0r8&feature=channel

Since both trees leaned over the water quite a bit, I thought it would be faster to speedline the limbs onto the shore. I also swung some of the birch limbs from a natural crotch. Both trunks were blocked down in firewood lenghts (I had to throw them to clear the slope of the rock shoreline).

The birch had quite a bit of decay on the bottom (near the deck) but could handle the limbs being directly dropped onto the speedline. The maple was another story. Due to several cavities higher in the trunk, I decided to drop the limbs onto a rigging line and then I use the rigging line to control the decent on the speedline. The top of the maple was giving me some concern so we decided to just put a tagline on the larger limbs and pull them onto the rocks as I cut them.

Hope you enjoy.:)

Why Speedline?

Thought you Canadians all waited for winter and then dropped em on the ice. Seriousely though, nice vids, nice work, thank you for posting them. Glad you didn't edit out the block that flew off the saw and splashed in the lake just a foot or two from the dock. Made my heart leap a bit, not like that has ever happened to ME before? Just time to start a very quick prayer, that starts like "God don't let..." and ends like "thanks for keepin me humble..." :)

Thanks for the kind words and I appreciate the rep.

randyg: I'd rather do tree work spring, summer and fall and leave winter for snowmobiling and skiing.:) However, I have been known to drop a few onto the ice.

I wondered if someone would notice the block getting close to the dock. I was taking 16" pieces down with the ms200 and it was going good, just slow, so I switched to the 026. First cut, went a little faster that I anticipated and the block slid off and along the bar towards the dock. Yeah, it was looking like it was going to hit. You'll notice the rest were tied off.:laugh:

Back