20" Bar Perfect for 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had a revelation today. I have a 361 that I bought with an 18" bar that just wasn't sitting right with me. I did a Lakeside muf. mod on it and that fixed the power and sound issue, now what could be the problem? Turns out it was 2" of bar. Slapped on a 20" and now I feel it is perfect. I used it today as I deadwooded a few trees and found the balance and reach to be spot on.

I just though I would share this cause I never thought a little bar length would make all the difference as to how I feel about a saw, but it did.:cheers:

I don't have a 361, but do have a 360 Pro. I think you're right, a 20" feels just about perfect on that size saw to me.

To Each their own , But Slap that 20" Bar on a MS440 and see what a perfect match is all about (IMO), I have Ms361 w/lakeside mods but prefer a 18" bar.
My Stihl saw & bar combos all muffler modded.
Ms260 pro 16'
Ms361 --- 18'
Ms440 --- 20'
Ms460 --- 24'
Ms660 --- 28' & I have longer bars if needed.

To Each their own , But Slap that 20" Bar on a MS440 and see what a perfect match is all about (IMO), I have Ms361 w/lakeside mods but prefer a 18" bar.
Ms260 pro 16'
Ms361 --- 18'
Ms440 --- 20'
Ms460 --- 24'
Ms660 --- 28' & I have longer bars if needed.

I have three 440's, one with a 25" and two running 20"s. I like the 25" for most stuff myself. Once again, it's a reach thing.

Ms260 pro 16'
Ms361 --- 18'
Ms440 --- 20'
Ms460 --- 24'
Ms660 --- 28' & I have longer bars if needed.[/
QUOTE]

holy crap how did you get a bar that is longer than 28 feet?? do you transport your saws with a semi????:clap::clap:

i agree, i realy like my 359 with the 20"

60cc=20-24"
50cc=16-20"

70cc=20-28"

Most important in my experience with bar length is to not have to much bar on the saw. For example:

My MS 260 PRO came to me with a 20" bar. It cut OK but was obviously underpowered as compared to my other setups. As my intended purpose for the saw was a limber I put a 16" bar on and have been extremely happy. The 20 was OK but the 16 finds a sweet spot for that little saw. It is comfortable pulling through 10-20" softwoods with little to no hesitation on the part of the saw when called upon to do so.

If dropping hundreds of trees a day, here's how it goes 50cc - 16" 60cc - 18" 70cc - 20". It's best power, best handling, best weight and no B.S. A 60cc can't hack 20" trees comfortably, my old 036 is no good with a 20" bar, has no redeeming features, you want 28" for 'reach', 20" makes it nose-heavier and clumsy, yeah 2" does make a difference, you're hitting the dirt to much and there's enough extra teeth to be a nuisance when sharpening every tank, reach is of no consequence felling trees with the right saw/bar combination, an 044 can cut fast with a 25" bar but I still like the 20" on them, and if stuck with 70cc on a steep block then on with an 18" without hesitation. Admittedly a longer bar can be good for cutting thru branches in a swathe to get at the trunk, you get less sticks scratching your hands

If dropping hundreds of trees a day, here's how it goes 50cc - 16" 60cc - 18" 70cc - 20". It's best power, best handling, best weight and no B.S. A 60cc can't hack 20" trees comfortably, my old 036 is no good with a 20" bar, has no redeeming features, you want 28" for 'reach', 20" makes it nose-heavier and clumsy, yeah 2" does make a difference, you're hitting the dirt to much and there's enough extra teeth to be a nuisance when sharpening every tank, reach is of no consequence felling trees with the right saw/bar combination, an 044 can cut fast with a 25" bar but I still like the 20" on them, and if stuck with 70cc on a steep block then on with an 18" without hesitation. Admittedly a longer bar can be good for cutting thru branches in a swathe to get at the trunk, you get less sticks scratching your hands

I am talking about "reach" as in the ability to reach what you are cutting while staying back a bit farther from the cut. I wouldn't cut 20" wood with it regularily, I just like to cut more from one position while limbing and stay back a bit from tension situations. Also, I use it in the tree and extra reach is key there, even if you have to wait a bit in the cut.

I run a 20" on my 361 that has the lakeside muffler modification and love it. Unless you want to show off by changing sprockets and using a smaller bar I see no reason to go smaller.

Steve

Latest posts

Back