20 inch bar opinions on MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

084Amateur

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been running an ancient Stihl Rollomatic ES with a replaceable tip on my 361. The nose sprocket finally had enough, and I can't seem to find the correct replacement. Everything I find is over 4" and mine is about 3 15/16".

So...looks like a new bar! Looking at price points these seem to be my best options:

Woodlandpro Power max $50
Forester Platinum $50
Oregon Powermatch $45

I cut about 6-10 cords a year, mostly ash. These seem the best value for good equipment. Is it worth dropping an extra $30-$40 for a Tsumura?

Thanks in advance!!

It really is not worth the extra money in my opinion, unless you use the saw every day. 90% of the pros in my area use Oregon bars.

It really is not worth the extra money in my opinion, unless you use the saw every day. 90% of the pros in my area use Oregon bars.

Those bars are priced within 10-20 bucks of what ive bought oregon bars for and worth twice the money.

But i guess a 20 dollar bill means something different to everyone...no right or wrong , just opinions.

I've been running an ancient Stihl Rollomatic ES with a replaceable tip on my 361. The nose sprocket finally had enough, and I can't seem to find the correct replacement. Everything I find is over 4" and mine is about 3 15/16".

So...looks like a new bar! Looking at price points these seem to be my best options:

Woodlandpro Power max $50
Forester Platinum $50
Oregon Powermatch $45

I cut about 6-10 cords a year, mostly ash. These seem the best value for good equipment. Is it worth dropping an extra $30-$40 for a Tsumura?

Thanks in advance!!

How ancient is this bar? why not get another OEM bar? I doubt you will find a bar that wears as well. That goes for chains as well, I get asked often for some cheaper chain but they soon come back for some proper kit.

Oregon Pro Lite is what I've been buying. Seem to hold up well.

I don't bother with replaceable tip bars. I've never killed a tip where the bar was still good enough to warrant a new tip.

Have run many bars until the groove was too shallow, tip was still fine.

Oregon pro lite would be $55 shipped. I can buy a Laser Forestry Pro (I think made by Tsumura?) for the same price.

Those bars are priced within 10-20 bucks of what ive bought oregon bars for and worth twice the money.

But i guess a 20 dollar bill means something different to everyone...no right or wrong , just opinions.
I have found Oregon bars for that price with 2 chains thrown in, so there is that. Weight wise I cannot tell the difference on the saw (I have 20 in oregons and TSBs in the same mount). The difference in wear will not matter to a homeowner who doesn't cut that much. I am only getting the fancy bars in longer lengths.

How ancient is this bar? why not get another OEM bar? I doubt you will find a bar that wears as well. That goes for chains as well, I get asked often for some cheaper chain but they soon come back for some proper kit.

I'm not opposed to that. The bar was given to me with an old 041 a few years back and I only put a couple hours on it.

Back