200 year old Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lookin4lunkers

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here is the Giant Oak that I mentioned in another thread. The first 2 pics show how bad of shape this old boy was in. Third pic is one of three 9 foot trunk sections. Pic 4 is a cross section with my MS341 w/18" bar. Last pic is the pile of branches about 20 feet in diameter and 7 or so feet tall. I cannot take credit for dropping this giant, it was hanging over a house, garage, deck and wires. Two pros/friends were called in to piece it down, I was just the ground crew. Very cool experience and awesome to watch a couple pros do their thing.
BillsOak005.jpg

BillsOak001.jpg

BillsOak003.jpg

BillsOak004.jpg

BillsOak002.jpg

Last edited:
Heh, that's the one he was planning on saving a 10ft section of trunk to mill? Funny, I had those same thoughts with two big oaks in my backyard -- one was about the same size as yours, haven't counted rings -- and seriously considered buying an Alaskan mill. Just as well I abandoned the thought; one was completely hollow, only about 3" of wood on the outside, and the other was all punky and soft inside, with cracks like yours all full of white fungus. Both trees chock full of nails. Complete pain in the tuckus dealing with the rotten heart wood.

Jack

The 3rd and 4th pic are two diff sections of tree. The third pic shows the one going to the mill, it is the 3rd 9 foot section up and in excellent shape. The first section was toast up to about 7 feet, the second section is the one of the end pic. I say 200 but truth is I counted to about fifty and gave up, I made it maybe 7 or 8 inches in. Prob should count all the way

Looks like some fence or clothesline or something in the foreground log in this shot - watch them chains!

BillsOak002.jpg

no but i can tell you we counted it 5 times man i cut down history as you no w. oak grows slow that tree was growing wen cc found the usa you can private message me tom trees:cheers:

Latest posts

Back