2002 Hi-Ranger 5FC-55 Not leveling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arboristdean113

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have 2002 Hi-Ranger 5FC-55 where the bucket is not leveling. It's the 2 man bucket and instead of chains it has cables. So it's not leveling and when you are in bucket it is tilted down about 20 degrees. Also as the upper boom is raised it makes a different kind of sound like a cable might be slipping or something... Does anyone have any idea on how this set up works and how to fix this. I live in upstate NY by the Quebec border, so I am far from any hi-ranger service stations.

Be careful... sounds like the cables are fraying or a pulley is locked up

We inspected the pulleys.... we can see all pulleys except the one in the lower boom on the inside of the knuckle. other then the one we can see, they are all turning, but the cables on the inside don't see to move with raising the upper boom. the cable inside at the deadman , that one moves. Does anyone know what the cost of replacing the cables would be. I don't have a manual either.

I've been told they wear from the inside out. Not sure if it's true...

I'm not familiar with that exact boom but you might check to see if there is a leveling adjustment. But I'd figure out what that noise is and make sure the unit is properly lubricated.

So there is an adjustment for the bucket. But the noise is the inner cable slipping on the froze up pulley.. now does anyone know if that pulley can be changed without taking the upper boom off totally?

So there is an adjustment for the bucket. But the noise is the inner cable slipping on the froze up pulley.. now does anyone know if that pulley can be changed without taking the upper boom off totally?
Prob if it was mine I would loosen the cables note where the tightening nuts are with a ruler, then I would try to free up the pulley by taking it out and honing out the rust and pack it with anti seize. This is what I would do with mine I ain't telling you to do it .

That's probably what I would do too. I just googled that model and I guess I did run one of those for a short while years ago. From the pictures, it doesn't look like it should be very hard to get that pulley off. Once the cables are loose, there must be some type of pin to pull out. Is there a spot to grease that pin before you go through the effort of taking the pulley off?

That's probably what I would do too. I just googled that model and I guess I did run one of those for a short while years ago. From the pictures, it doesn't look like it should be very hard to get that pulley off. Once the cables are loose, there must be some type of pin to pull out. Is there a spot to grease that pin before you go through the effort of taking the pulley off?
Prob a pin, you hit out with a punch not sure that lift is different but look.

I just bought the unit in late October. It was my first utility bucket. I greased it yesterday and then today I watch the pulley has my worker moved the boom up and down and you can see the pulley move a tiny bit then stop and then the cable just slides on the pulley. Not sure on how to take it off yet. Looks like there is a big nut on one side, but the other thing is how to get my arm in there.

Call BTS Equipment out of Michigan, they buy tons of Hi Rangers and inspect and cert before sale, mechanic can probably help you out, there are levelling cables in those lifts. Hope you get that thing fixed safely

So I called terex and 5 year major is around $18,000. That's for leveling cables, lift cable, cylinder seals done and hoses and lines. To do just the leveling and hold back cable is around $10,000. Does anyone know if this is something that can be done without have them do it since I was told this is more labor then material cost?

So I called terex and 5 year major is around $18,000. That's for leveling cables, lift cable, cylinder seals done and hoses and lines. To do just the leveling and hold back cable is around $10,000. Does anyone know if this is something that can be done without have them do it since I was told this is more labor then material cost?
Wow what year is the truck and lift and how much do you have in it? Call around some more . That price seems very high to me. They should get 1000.00 a day labor and it should take 2 or 3 days how much are parts? all this cause the pulley stuck take it out and free it up. Get more prices.

Last inspection done on boom was 2010.. so terex is saying it should have the 5 year major done.. the only cable that really concerns me is the hold back cable. The truck is a 2002 fl70 Freightliner utility and boom is a hi-ranger 5fc-55. Like i said I don't have a manual so been trying to get info online and supposedly the upper boom needs to support and also the bucket then cable tension loosen then take pulley out.. If this is correct, where do I loosen the cable at. I have a diagram of the booms but does show where the tensioner is.

Last inspection done on boom was 2010.. so terex is saying it should have the 5 year major done.. the only cable that really concerns me is the hold back cable. The truck is a 2002 fl70 Freightliner utility and boom is a hi-ranger 5fc-55. Like i said I don't have a manual so been trying to get info online and supposedly the upper boom needs to support and also the bucket then cable tension loosen then take pulley out.. If this is correct, where do I loosen the cable at. I have a diagram of the booms but does show where the tensioner is.
You might need some help with that cant you find anyone call around. I don't know that particular model . Plus it is a huge liability. This is all because the one pulley or is the cable frayed?

Ment to say diagram doesn't show the tensioners. I am having huge problems finding people that work on these because I Live along the Quebec border in Northern NY. Closest place is Dueco in Syracuse NY and that's a 3 hr drive one way. Dueco is the place that quoted the high amounts. I am not sure if all of these problems are the caused of the pulley.. but in order to change the pulley, the hold back cable needs to be loosen enough to be able to pull the pulley out and away from cable. The bucket is tilted like 30 degees down, that needs to be adjusted, which I hear the adjustment is at the bucket. I will post a picture of the pulley tonight.. You can see the cable grooves in the pulley, so its been frozen awhile, kind of looks like the cable might of stretched by looking at the grooves in the cable. I paid $19,000 for the truck. They wanted $23,000.00

Latest posts

Back