2010 MS391 what do you think

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I came across some extra funds today and got him off it for 375. Came with 27 chains and I think I figured out why he has so many. He never has links removed, just buys new chains. Spare chains are good for me that means I don't have to put out the coin for new ones all the time. 27 chains will probably get me by for a year or two. Anyways thanks for telling me what you guys think. I can't wait till tomorrow so I can play with my new toy.:chainsawguy:

You shouldn't ever have to remove links. What do you mean?

Been running a 391 since April 2010.Like it a lot.Has plenty of power.Been bucking a bunch of hickory and pecan cull logs I got from the mill.You got to watch for nails and all, but the 391 really cuts on that hardwood.

I'm not a professional cutter so I don't know what anyone can do with 27 chains. I have 9 or 10 20" for my 390 and I can't see myself wearing out 1.

375 is definately a better deal.

When I bought my 390 it was 5 months old and looked as good as new. Bought it from original owner and it was barely used by him and no one else, with a 20" bar/chain and 3 extra new 20" chains in box. Also came with 25" bar w/not even a scratch on it, and chain, x-tra new 25" chain in box, tools/files, 5 bottles stihl 2.5 mix, gallon stihl bar oil, 25" adj. bar scab. I thought I over paid for it all, $300 @ the time

Removing links

I remove links when my chains stretch beyond adjustment. It costs 3 bucks at the local dealers and I run em until I have no more left to sharpen. I'm really surprised you guys don't do this I guess I just thought it was common practice. In my neck of the woods it is anyways.
I am real happy with the saw and still have 10 months on the warranty. I e-mailed Stihl to make sure that it transferred and it does. All of it except for the extended warranty on the clutch and igniton module transfer.
As far as the chains I'm happy to have more chainsaw parts. I will probably use them but thats probably just the CAD talking.:beer:

What kind of chain are they, and what condition are most of them in?

Anyway, the 391is too heavy for its power, and not a model I would want.....

Most of the chains are Stihl green label low kickback full chisel at 75% life. A couple are the DANGEROUS lumberjack killas that have the yellow safety rating (thats what i buy). Wish more were the lumberjack killas but since they aren't I can handle the green ones (just more of a pain for me to sharpen).

As far as the saw being underpowered for its weight... Six months ago my primary saw was a promac 850 and this thing seems light compared to that old pm 850. Not that I dont love the mcculloch or that the 391 has the same power but I am accustomed to the weight and buying a lighter more powerfull pro saw isn't finacially sensible or possible for me at this time in my life.

LOL! Lumberjack killas, eh? :laughn:

I would hate to even try to count up the number of chains I've went through. Most of them being Stihl chains wth a few Carltons here and there. That said, I have never had to remove links from any of them, nor have I ever heard of anyone doing it that I can recall. I know the adjustment on my saws will draw up the chain the distance of about two links or more maybe. I don't see a chain stretching that far. None of mine really even stretch at all.

If you don't run a sharp chain they can stretch quite a bit, but never that much.

Bad chain stretch is caused by the fallowing.
1. Dull chain.
2. warn or incorrect pitch drive sprocket.
3. Incorrect guide bar sprocket pitch.
4. Lack of bar lube.

All the above is easily prevented. There should be no need to remove a link from a chain in it's life span.

Most of the chains are Stihl green label low kickback full chisel at 75% life. A couple are the DANGEROUS lumberjack killas that have the yellow safety rating (thats what i buy). Wish more were the lumberjack killas but since they aren't I can handle the green ones (just more of a pain for me to sharpen).

Incorrect IMHO. All saw chains are dangerous and can kill you if you're not careful or know how to operate a saw properly. I think that most misinterpret safety chain as being safe, it's simply not true.

Went and looked at the saw and stuff yesterday and told him I would give him 475 just to see what he would say. He said yeah. Seriously I think it would be a pretty good deal. Counted the chains and don't ask me why but he has closer to 40 chains (says he buys them by the dozen even had a brand new one to put on when I ran the saw) and 6 rim sprockets plus an ES replaceable tip bar. The saw is in excellent shape and the piston is not scored and looks good. To me if I had that many chains I wouldn't have to buy one for a real long time. I guess he was cutting without a permit and has no interest in buying permits so he's gonna sell out. The deal doesn't seem fishy to me. Sure wish I had the cash but since I don't I will prolly just wait till I can afford a new 440 or something.

What??????? Why are you making an offer to buy a saw with funds you dont have???????

I'm cornfused!!!!:question:

What??????? Why are you making an offer to buy a saw with funds you dont have???????

I'm cornfused!!!!:question:

Not really because I didn't offer to buy it. I was just getting a feel for his bottom dollar that way I knew if I could come up with the funds. I was thinkin I could come up with the cash at the time.

I wound up buying it for $375.00.

I'm with the others, I see no reason to remove links during a chain's useful life expectancy unless you are running too many links to begin with and the tensioner is maxed out. Do you have an aftermarket bar that may be slightly shorter than a Stihl bar?

All the above is easily prevented. There should be no need to remove a link from a chain in it's life span.

Yes, and the MS391 is way too heavy for its power!

It is a model that really have no place in the market, but I guess Stihl marketing will create one anyway........

27 chains will only last you a year!? :shock:
between that and the comment about them stretching so much you have to have links removed.. i think this is in order:
u-r-wrong.jpg

Yes, and the MS391 is way too heavy for its power!

It is a model that really have no place in the market, but I guess Stihl marketing will create one anyway........

you already said this on the last page:

Anyway, the 391is too heavy for its power, and not a model I would want.....

what place in the market does a husky 460 have ? husky marketing .. always creating saws that have no place in the market ! !

ST I love you man!! but the 391 is what it is, a great larger homeowner saw. No it's not a 361, but than again the 361 is no 6400/6401.;)
No, but the 391 is pretty close to the 6400 in power to weight, and both are a lot heavier than the MS361, that has the same power, except the US version. :doh:

Back