2015 Fires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, it's fire season. Or at least close. One of my firemen on the rescue back in KY is headed to Montana again.

What's the situation look like out west? I'm in the Allegheny mountains all summer, and with record snowfalls we probably won't see any anywhere near here soon.

Can we move there?
Nope, but you can move to Oregon instead:

Referring to Oregon’s tourist industry in a 1971 speech, (then Governor Tom) McCall may have first publicly voiced his famous “Come visit, don’t stay” slogan: “I urge them to come and come many, many times to enjoy the beauty of Oregon. But I also ask them, for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live.”

Dick_Sherk.jpg

Full Story

New Mexico. Lots of elbow room. Arizona, too.
I went to Phoenix for Spring Training. We drove out to the Tonto NF, went an hour north, I don't remember a single tree. Down there for three days, and the webbing between my toes was ALREADY starting to dry out! OTOH, I'm pretty sure that the Phoenix area isn't the nicest part of the state. I like the area east of Flagstaff, kind of weird seeing all those pines with no brush under them. Did you know they actually have more than one Ski Area in New Mexico? Whoda thunk it?

There are two ski areas in AZ, you mean. That's not counting the Nordic skiing areas. I have skied at the Apache Tribe's downhill area and it was a different experience. There wasn't much snow and I had taken a friend along who hadn't skied much and she fell in the mud! West of that area, on the rim between Payson and Showlow was a Nordic area, but the snow was kind of sketchy. The other downhill area is near Flagstaff.

We where looking like fire bans were coming at any second two weeks ago. It was really dry for April. Now for the past two weeks its been positively soggy. Helped the neighbor burn his house last night and got caught in a real downpour. I was so wet around midnight that the water was running down my legs and starting to puddle in my shoes. COLD! Today even the "lawn" is muddy.

There are two ski areas in AZ, you mean.

No, I switched states, more than one in New Mexico. My mind kind of jumps around sometimes. I algebra my teachers were always after me to make sure I showed all my steps. I really had to fight it in college, too. I had heard of skiing around Taos and Santa Fe, but the Ski Apache resort down by Ruidoso is the ski area farthest South in the US, if memory serves me.

Latest posts

Back