2051 scored piston and cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warjohn

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As I stated in a previous thread my jred 2051 did not have much power. My brother in law has a 49sp and my 2051 has never kept up with it even after I had it rebuilt. I pulled the mufler and found the piston was scored. I pulled the cylinder and it is scored as well. It will not clean up.

Any advice on any mods I can make to this saw while I have it apart.

Is there a big bore kit available for it.

Is there anyplace other than a jred dealer where i can get parts.

Does anyone have a service manual for a 2051

Also before I took the carb off I noticed that the throttle cable had a lot of slack in it. When the trigger is pulled it does not move the throttle lever until the triger is close to the end of it's stroke. When the trigger is fully engaged the throttle lever on the side of the carb can still be moved by hand a lot. I did this when the saw was not running. Is this normal or was the saw never getting to full throttle. I hope this explanation makes sense.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. This was my first chainsaw. I was told it was a demo unit back when I first bought it. But I think It was used and it never had the power I expected. I would finally like to have it run like it should.

You could change out to the 2054 or 2055 powerhead! I have a couple of 2051's that were smashed but might have good p&c's on them I will check if you would like! I have a 2051c that will run right with my 5100 so I know something is definatley wrong if a 30yr old 49sp will outrun it!

I know something is definatley wrong if a 30yr old 49sp will outrun it!

You must not own a 49SP, because they can hold their own against all of todays 50CC class saws.

There is also a new muffler that is available for the 2051/2054/2055 saws, with a top exhaust port like the current Jonnys. It is way better than the older ones with the louvered port on the front. Husky never had a version of this saw, and I'm sure there would not be any aftermarket stuff, so P&C kits are only available from Jonsered dealers, but are priced suprisingly good.

When I pulled the cylinder off I noticed that there was not a gasket on the cylinder base. When it was rebuilt they used silicone. I know from looking at the IPL that there should be a gasket. Could this be part of the problem.

Last edited:
When I pulled the cylinder off I noticed that there was not a gasket on the cylinder base. When it was rebuilt they used silicone. I know from looking at the IPL that there should be a gasket. Could this be part of the problem.

Whoa! That is horrible, and there is no excuse because that gasket is still available. And yes, that is very likely part of the problem.

This manual should work, even though the 2051 isn't mentioned, as it is mostly the same as the 2055/2054.

The 2055 replaced the 2051, while the 2054 always was the "weaker brother"....

Whoa! That is horrible, and there is no excuse because that gasket is still available. And yes, that is very likely part of the problem.

It's been a few years since it was done so I know it was available. This is part of the reason I'm doing it myself this time plus I just want to learn. Any money I save will go towards a tach which in the long run I hope will save me more repairs.

I checked through the exhaust port on this 51 I have and it looks good! I will pull the cylinder off tomorrow and inspect it real close! Ran out of time today!

I checked through the exhaust port on this 51 I have and it looks good! I will pull the cylinder off tomorrow and inspect it real close! Ran out of time today!

That sounds good to me I'm not in a huge hurry. I plan on taking my time I want to do it right.

The cylinder is in great shape! The piston is good as well but the ring is a little sticky probably from sitting around not being used!

Latest posts

Back