2100 Husky running good but backwards!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbenz80

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can you explain why is my saw turning backwards? It will run nice for 5 minutes and then without stoping will go to reverse. Saw has 185 psi compression (cylinder turned down .020") with .030" top piston clearance exhaust and intake ports moved .015" at original width. Turning forward about 14,000 RPM and going backwards only about 8,000. How can I check my timing on it and how far from top my piston has to be at the time of spark.
Is it possible to advance ignition on Husky saws so far that will run good but backwards? Thanks for sharing your experience and knowlidge. Bernard :cry:

Something doesnt sound right, which means something isnt right. what exactly, I cant say, but something is definately not right.

situation is horribly wrong.. id hate to see those starter pawls catch and the starter cover try to rip itself a new one..
full specs available at URL below, and they do include the timing spec that could be very handy in this situation. may also check the flywheel key to see if that is still in one piece! the key could very well be sheared off making timing even worse. those flywheel keys can make odd things happen.. about broke my hand when a riding mower with a briggs would constantly shear keys and rip that rope out of my hands when it backfired.. i was about 15 when i had that evil thing.. sure did make me bleed alot!

Flywheel hey is OK and ignition assembly screws tight. I've started yesterday about 30 times with no problem but always backwards. Then the KICK BACK started and even with D-hanle on it Ive left it alone very quickly. Even now, I can still feel it in my fingers. Could my spark plug (Bosch WS7F) stay so hot that will make the saw to fire much sooner and send piston backwards?

I dont know. it could happen. are you sure the key isnt bent? even a few degrees off can possibly cause this kind of issue. but if your plug is getting that hot, something else is SERIOUSLY wrong to let it get that hot in the first place, and probably that saw will go BOOM real quick.

I've checked out every thing again, ignition module is 5018319-01 with mounting holes not slots, like on my 285 that you could adjust timing with it. Forced it CCW as much as it will go before tightening it down, installed new woodruff key for flywheel and changed spark plug to WS6F. Scared but curious pulled on handle and started right up with correct rotation. Then I went to finish cutting tree lieing down in my friends yard since Thursday. Frustrating if you cut your notch, kick it out and then your saw jumps to reverse, turning it off and restarting easily, runing nice but always in reverse.
Where can I find specs and details on timing for Husky 2100CD?

id practice putting the chain on backwards till i got profecient at it, might come in handy, if ya get the bar pinched you could put it in reverse and back out of it.

One of the hardest things to find in a situation like this is a crankshaft problem, I.E. your flywheel side of crankshaft has moved on the pin, or the big end bearing surface, uncommon but it does happen. Jon

Your timeing is way off. As the piston come up the spark is way advanced firing early and pushing the piston back not letting it come all the way up.This is why it is running in the wrong direction. Does this saw have something that will advance the spark at a certain rpm? If so I would look at it. Possible a bad module.Ken

Real odd

This is one of the most peculiar things I have heard of.On occasion,back in the days of 2 cycle karting,the engine would start back asswards,but not auto reverse.I've never seen that one.And yes,most solid state ingnition modules have a timing advance.I've seen them jump on a Briggs,and you can't get them started.You think a saw kicks back,try a 12 hp Briggs.If you open the air gap,it will retard it,but only by a small tiny amount.I would have thought the starter dogs would have engaged and totaly destroyed the mechanism,ugh.If I am understanding this,it will start o.k. when cold,then start in reverse when hot?If this is the case,it would point at the module,which it appears to be that, any way.

id say replace the coil. good bet thats your issue.. probly flaking out big time.. i just bought a brand spankin new 056/2100 coil on ebay for $75. that baby is going on my 2100 hotsaw. there are some used stihl 056 coils on ebay, those ones have slotted mounts so timing can be changed. new one i got is the non slotted mount. just search ebay for "stihl 056 coil" and check search descriptions too. both 2100 and 056 are SEM Type GA

Thanks guys, I will start search for new or good used ignition coil. Even now saw is running very nicely, starting the right way but now, I'm always scared to pull on starter rope. I don't want to damage anything if it will think to go backwards again.

Back