2153/346 Felling Spike

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcS

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just thought I'd put up a picture of what I made for mine. Nothing too crazy I don't think, just something to keep from beating the muffler up. .090 thick, cold rolled steel-didn't have anything else on hand so I'll try this one for a while and see how it holds up. If the geometry works good maybe I'll make an outer dog as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20131218_235428_196.jpg
    IMG_20131218_235428_196.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
Other side with bar on the saw.

Attachments

• IMG_20131219_241708_238.jpg
    IMG_20131219_241708_238.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Just thought I'd put up a picture of what I made for mine. Nothing too crazy I don't think, just something to keep from beating the muffler up. .090 thick, cold rolled steel-didn't have anything else on hand so I'll try this one for a while and see how it holds up. If the geometry works good maybe I'll make an outer dog as well.

I can't get the full picture to come up, but the thumbnail pic looks good.

Does anybody have a link to where I could purchase a slightly larger than stock dog for the inside of my 346, I am running a large outside spike now to help prevent my muffler mod outlet but would much rather run one just on the inside.

I'm currently having some cut out of stainless (inner & outer) for a 346

Thanks guys, I haven't found anyone who makes a larger dog so figured if I wanted one... Quite easy to do and even though I work in a machine shop did it mostly by hand. Traced around the OE dog with a marker and just drew the outline I wanted from there. Next put it in the Bridgeport and plunged a .375 end mill at the base of each point. Band sawed the rough shape out and then worked it up with a file. Basically a drill, hacksaw, and a file is all you need. A good sharp single cut file...and a file card.

Think I'll order some stainless and remake an inner and outer. Haven't run the saw with it yet but I can see right away to lengthen the bottom point another .125 or so to be on the same plane as the bottom of the saw.

It's nice to have friends with toys, these were machined out of 1/8" stainless. The double dawg setup seems to keep it from rolling over. Maybe a little overkill size wise but it works for me. I can't imagine the time that went into getting the alignment perfect, luckily he did save the machining file for the future.346 Dawgs.JPG

It's nice to have friends with toys, these were machined out of 1/8" stainless. The double dawg setup seems to keep it from rolling over. Maybe a little overkill size wise but it works for me. I can't imagine the time that went into getting the alignment perfect, luckily he did save the machining file for the future.

Surely it is overkill, and is stealing effective bar length.....

Last edited:
Surely it is overkill, and is stealing effective bar length.....
But if someone admitted to burying even a 16" bar on a 346/2153 you'd tell them that was wrong, get a bigger saw for bucking.

FOr a 50cc saw those are gnarly, I like it.

Back