Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darton2

Darton2

ArboristSite Lurker
Had my dang saw stolen out of my jeep. It was an ole reliable homelite 360. Looking for a good replacement and thinking about the J-red 2159. Can you guys let me know the good and bad with it.

Thanks,

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Had my dang saw stolen out of my jeep. It was an ole reliable homelite 360. Looking for a good replacement and thinking about the J-red 2159. Can you guys let me know the good and bad with it.

Thanks,

It is a good saw. Very reliable, won't cost you an arm and leg to buy. It is a little lower HP than comparable saws (Stihl 361) but much cheaper. Good all around saw.

bowtechmadman

bowtechmadman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Last new saw I purchased was a 2159...took dealer and Jred about a year to get it to run right. They ended up replacing tank/handle/carb/carb linkage.
Runs like it should now...thinking it may need woods ported and muff mod.

Austin1

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a 2159 that has been very good to me,never any trouble with it.However they come with Cat mufflers so figure on a extra 40.00 for a new muffler. If you open up the stock muffler it really wakes them up, if you port it you wont have a need for a 70cc saw:)

Darton2

Darton2

ArboristSite Lurker
Just got back from lunch and went to our local hardware store. They carry the stihl/husky/echo. They didnt have too many huskies on the shelf but the ones they had seemed BIG and bulky.

Then a local dealer sells jonsered and I got got prices today on the phone and am- making a trip there tomorrow.

A major concern I have is durability. I cut wood to heat my house and my dads. I dont care about all the bells and whistles, and who won a saw cutting contest. I just want a year after year saw for the farm and heating our houses. Right now the 2165 is looking like it is on the top of the list cause money matters too. Especially right now.

These are the local prices. Is this about right?-

Stihl 361 59cc 4.4hp $599
Jonsered 2165 65cc 4.6hp $450
2171 70.7cc 5.3hp $625

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Just got back from lunch and went to our local hardware store. They carry the stihl/husky/echo. They didnt have too many huskies on the shelf but the ones they had seemed BIG and bulky.

Then a local dealer sells jonsered and I got got prices today on the phone and am- making a trip there tomorrow.

A major concern I have is durability. I cut wood to heat my house and my dads. I dont care about all the bells and whistles, and who won a saw cutting contest. I just want a year after year saw for the farm and heating our houses. Right now the 2165 is looking like it is on the top of the list cause money matters too. Especially right now.

These are the local prices. Is this about right?-

Stihl 361 59cc 4.4hp $599
Jonsered 2165 65cc 4.6hp $450
2171 70.7cc 5.3hp $625

I believe that is a good prise on the 2171, probably on the 2165 as well (normal in the US on the 361).

The 2165 is a good option, unless power to weight ratio counts.

All a very reliable and proven saws.

Last edited:
Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite

Thanks,

Avoid the 2159 or smaller saws and get a 2165. World of difference in durability and a much better built saw. Your prices on the Jonsereds are very good.

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Probably made early on a monday - serial number will give a clue........

I wish I was allowed to take a photograph of the "Monday" 359s and 2159s, 350s, etc. etc. etc. sitting idle waiting for warranty work.

There seems to be an overall lack of quality control. Gas tasks with poor or no vents, cracks in plastic and metal out of the box, parts missing, carbs, carbs, carbs, and the list goes on. This is the case for saws being sold bulk direct, box stores, and through servicing dealers it is not just a couple of dealers having problems. I hope it gets remedied soon because it is pounding the brands reputation and the actual dealers that are handling them.

Darton2

Darton2

ArboristSite Lurker
I got suckered into to the 2171. He threw in a 20" bar with the 24".

This guy seemed like a real knowledgeable dealer. He let me fireup and use his personal 2171 for a bit behind his shop. I was sold. It darn sure aint my old homelite....

Last edited:
Zodiac45

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
I am going to check out the 2165 and the 2171 tomorrow morning.

I think you'll be pleased with the 2165 and or 2171. Shame about your Hommie 360. My firewooding partner has one and it's old school torque. Low revs but pulls hard. The two Jonnies above will be quite a pleasant surprise for you as both will outwork the 360 with about the same weight. The 2171 with a 20" bar is IMO THE firewood set up. That of course comes with a caveat that I can't get a Dolmar 7900:greenchainsaw:

Darton2

Darton2

ArboristSite Lurker
Well, I got it. I spent the extra cash and went with the 2171....

The only thing I am not sure about is that it came with a 24" bar. I am a bigger guy and the dealer swore that I would like it better than the 20". Dont know about that yet. He did tell me that if I used it and didnt like it, that he would personally buy the 24 from me and get me a 20. So I figure I cant lose on this one.

I do know that that saw RUNS!!! I can not believe how it chews the wood. Now as long as it lasts a long time I think I will be happy.

Woodie

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
The only thing I am not sure about is that it came with a 24" bar.

I've got a 20, 24, and a 28 for my 2171. (The 28 is for rare occassions only.)

I pretty much only use the 24 though. Suits it well, and balances beautifully.

I bet you'll love it.

Good call on the 2171.

PB

Addicted to ArboristSite
What chains do you recommend?

Nice saw, you will be happy with it.

For the chains, what type of wood will you be cutting primarily? Dead, hardwood, softwood, dirty, clean, etc. ?

I have an 18", 20", and 24" bar for mine but it wears the 20" mostly. I just got the 24" and haven't used it much but it balances nice.

Latest posts